May the CC sit on a BoR

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouter Paul wrote

"Greeneagle5

You stated that you are both a ASM and CM. You can only hold one postion."

That is not correct. If GreenEagle used the abbreviations he intended (CM and ASM), then he can hold both offices. It would mean he is a Cubmaster (CM) and an Assistant Scoutmaster(ASM).

He is allowed by the membership rules to hold these offices simultaneously. The advancement rules exclude him from sitting on BORs for Tenderfoot through Life Ranks.

Bob White

What is a Cubmaster with Assistant Scoutmaster duties?? No matter, neither of those positions may serve on a board of review (other than Eagle).

I am a firm believer that individuals that want to act in the role of an adult Scout leader need to take 2 minutes to fill out and submit their application to become a registered member. There is nothing in the Scout literature that supports the idea of any persons other than registered troop committee members serving on boards of review.

Fscouter,

He could be dual registered. I am. I am A pack Committee Chair for a Pack and an Assistant Scoutmaster for a Troop. I could also hold a position in the District if I gave into their begging. What I can't do is be a Committee Member or Chairman and an ASM in the same Troop. The only person who can hold a more than one registered position in a Troop is the COR if I remember correctly.

BW,

I think he was using CM incorrectly and meant Committee Member instead of Cubmaster. I could be wrong, but many people mix MC up with CM.

FScouter,

GreenEagle didn't say he was "a CM with ASM duties". Those words were by another poster, but that is not what GreenEagle wrote. Please go back and look at his post. He said he was a CM, a Parent, and an ASM

A CM is a Cubmaster, a Committee Member is designated as an MC. Regardless of which GreenEagle is he is excluded from any BOR other than Eagle Rank because he is an ASM.

ScouterPaul stated that it was not proper for an Assistant Scoutmaster to sit on a board of review, but that it would be OK if that individual merely performed the duties of an assistant Scoutmaster. Neither instance is proper.

My main point was that it makes no sense to hold position "A" and additionally perform duties for postion "B". If one also wants to perform in postition "B", then fill out an application and register for that position too.

Fscouter

I beg to differ with you. In a small troop with limited adult participation leaders will fullfill many different roles. To the best of my knowledge it takes a minimum of 6 registered adults (5 if the IH and CR are one in the same) there is a minimum of 3 adults for the committee the CC and 2 MC. There is no requirement for a registered ASM.

This can be a real problem in a small troop--in my son's troop, the parents who are active in the committee are also active with troop activities--if several of them were ASMs, we'd have a hard time getting a board together. Obviously, the answer is to get more parents involved, but in the meantime you have to deal with the implications of some people fulfilling multiple roles.

Fscouter,

While it isn't unusual to find units that don't have enough leaders and you find an adult wearing two or more hats, they can not be registered for two positions in the same unit. You can not be an SM/ASM AND a Committee Member. You can change your registration from one to the other, but you can't be registered as both. If you are registered as an SM or an ASM, you can not sit on a BOR. I'm sure there are people who think they can register as both and might turn in a new form to register for an additional position and think they hold both. But I can almost guarantee you what happens from the administrative side of BSA is that you get switched from one position to the other position.

The misuse of the abbreviations for Cubmaster and committee member have confused the issue and led to some incorrect conclusions about some of the comments here.

Let me state my views about registration and serving on a boards of review.

- A Cubmaster (CM) may serve on a board of review, but only if also registered as a troop committee member (MC).

- An assistant Scoutmaster (SA) may not serve.

- A Scoutmaster may not serve.

- An unregistered person may not serve. (Fill out and submit an application!)

- Only one adult in a troop may be dual registered in that troop the chartered organization representative (CR).

- A small troop without an assistant Scoutmaster may need some additional hands-on help from a committee member. If a specific individual is primarily working as an assistant Scoutmaster and secondarily as a committee member (MC), he should change his registration to reflect reality. Then recruit any adult to register as a committee member. That person's sole duty could be as little as serving of boards of review 4 times a year.

- A small troop can legally operate with as few as four registered adults: 3 committee members and a Scoutmaster. The CR position would be dual registered.

Scouter Paul,

It only takes a miniumum of 5 registered adults to charter a troop, regardless of whether the IH and CR is one person or two. The IH is not a registered position in the BSA. Even this is no longer the case in some instances. The local council executive has the authority to alter this provision in some situations depending on the availability of qualified adult leaders.(This message has been edited by Bob White)