May the CC sit on a BoR

Answering questions like this makes me wonder how many troop committees out there are just a bunch of parents with no BSA training or interest in knowing how to present a Scouting program, making up their own rules and thinking they are doing fine.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a registered member of the BSA does not automatically fill one with all of the knowledge needed to participate in proper BORs, neither will training (hopefully training will help though). This forum has had numerous threads where apparently registered adults had no clue as to how to run a BOR. I personally know registered trained Scouters with years of experience that continue to test Scouts on their BORs and on the flip side I know a parent that asks the Scout some of the most thought provoking questions. This parent has not registered yet. All of the background checks issues aside, I would take this parent over this registered Scouter any day.

I do not believe when BOR where originally set up way back when the members had to be registered with the BSA. They were community leaders, dads, pastors, moms, etc. Only in recent times with the increased concerns of child abuse and other issues has it become necessary for the BSA to protect it self, and that is by asking all persons directly involved with Scouts to register (and there by submit to a background check).

I am Woodbadge trained, served for several years as Advancement chair, conducted numerous rank BORs as well as Eagle BORs, staffed what is now IBSLT, currently staffing the council JLTC and serving as a Scoutmaster. I posed my question because I have not seen it written that Troop Committee people have to be registered. Sometimes I do over look things, so I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction, not made light of.

SM406

• 1 month later...

In my unit our monthly "Committee Meeting" is refered to as a "Parents Committee Meeting." It's a little messy, BUT what we do is invite all parents to come and give thier input as to what the troop needs. As for BoRs we follow the guideline that no parent sit on their son's BoR, AND no SM/ASM sits on a BoR. Just like no one other than the SM/ASM signs a boy's book.

While your work as a parent is notable, and needed, you really shouldn't be swapping roles back and forth like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the COR is a member of the committee and a committee member (same thing) and may participate in boards of review for all (except his own son). Now, you may think that because he/she doesn't attend any committee meetings he is not a committee member. Wrong! They are a comittee member because they are registered as such by the BSA.

OK,what if I, as the new Advancement Chair, review the records and find that Scout B had his Board of Review for Star a year ago, and the Board was composed of two ASMs and the Committee Chair? Or three ASMs? Or one ASM, the COR, and another person who used to be a Scouter? Etc., etc., etc.?

The advancement report has long ago been submitted, and what's more, the boy has already earned his next rank. What, if anything, should be done (aside from preventing a recurrence of the problem)?

Stapler Guy said, "Yes, the COR is a member of the committee and a committee member (same thing) and may participate in boards of review for all (except his own son). Now, you may think that because he/she doesn't attend any committee meetings he is not a committee member. Wrong! They are a comittee member because they are registered as such by the BSA."

I question this. The on-line fast start training says, in the section about Troop Committee meetings, "Can include invited guests, such as chartered organization representatives or the unit commissioner."

If the COR is a member of the committee, would he need to be an invited guest?

The original post bases its question on the false premise that the Charter Organization Representative is a member of the committee. While the COR (or CR) may dual register as a committee member they are not, be virtue or being the COR, a unit committee member. They are in fact a member of the Disrict Committee. You can read the Troop Committee Guide and the Cub Scout Leader Book to see that nowhere in the job desciption or duties is the COR referred to as a member of the committee.

Would I let the COR sit in on a BOR? Sure, in fact there are times I would want him/her there. Do they have a say in the scouts approval for advancement. Only if A) they register as a committee member, which I would only recommend in a new unit just starting to recruit, or B) It is an Eagle Board.