Merit Badge Counselor Approval or Rejection

The thread on merit badge sign-off prompted this line of thought.

Is there supposed to be a procedure to let applicants know if they've been approved or dis-approved?

I signed up to counsel a few merit badges, I know that the paperwork went to the District but I never heard yea or nay. Do they only contact the nays?

Our District Advancement Chair contacts at least the approved MB Counselors. I've not been made aware of any that were turned down, so I don't know how he handles those.

When he calls, he uses the opportunity to reinforce the YP guidelins as they relate to MB Counselors, the expectations of the MB program, and that he is limited to counsel only badges for which the Council has deemed him qualified.

Mark

Is there supposed to be? Yes. Is there? Not really in my district. They claim that because of the volume, no news is good news. They only contact the rejected folks. I'd prefer a more positive approach myself. As a SM, I get a booklet once a year containing those who are approved and have agreed to councel on a district level but those who apply for "troop only" do not get positive feedback (only negative).

In our District.

You apply using the form along with an Adult application. This goes to the Dean of Merit Badges. He presents it to the Advancement Committee. They make their recommendations to the District Committee.

The Dean contacts you and covers all the stuff that is needed. He contacts everyone and will explain why the committee may not have approved a certain merit badge.

Eamonn

The approval process is similar in our district. You are only notified if the application is rejected.......most often because the applicant did not want to share their Social Security #.

How about a simple 'Thank You' note to the applicant to let them know they've been approved and to thank them for their involvement.