Bridge Crossing for boys not joining a troop

FOG/Bob White

We are discussing the current requirements. The paragraph that fotoscout cites is the one that the current Webelos (certainly all IIs and virtually all Is) are using. The new requirements didn't come out until last summer. The new requirements for both the Webelos badge and AOL are not mandatory until August 2005. Technically, this year's Bears (and Wolves, since they would finish third grade in May/June 2005) could also use the old requirements; availability of books will likely dictate that choice.(This message has been edited by molscouter)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as you can see CMFB, the crossover is subject to interpretation with many views of it's meaning. Everyone has an opinion on what it means (no ones right, no ones wrong). You do what you feel is best for your pack.

Sparkie

Just thought I'd chime in with the apparent minority - let 'em all cross over the bridge.

Regardless which of the 180 directions they choose to follow on the other side they're all crossing out of Cub Scouts. Every cross-over ceremony I've seen treats it as a graduation which makes for a good illustration -- when you graduate from high school they let you walk across the stage even if you aren't going to attend college.

I attended a cross-over ceremony 3 years ago where the boys were moving to different troops. As each one crossed the bridge they were met by representatives from their new troop and received their neckerchief, book, etc. Those who weren't continuing into Boy Scouts simply crossed over and were met by their parents. After they had all crossed, they stood together for one last time and everyone clapped in recognition of their accomplishments -- none of which were diminished because some didn't move on into Boy Scouts.

My $0.02

Manyirons stated "Just thought I'd chime in with the apparent minority - let 'em all cross over the bridge."

Good arguments (lawyer type arguments) made for letting them all cross.

I'm still sticking with the argument that the bridging is for those going into Boy Scouts.

One Pack in town has 6 Webelos crossing to Boys Scouts at B&G in two weeks. There are 3 Webelos that will not cross until May due coming in the program late and are still working on their AOL.

(Rhetorical question) Should these 3 boys cross at B&G with the others?

BTW Manyirons, How many Webelos are headed to your troop this year? And where are you guys going to summer camp at?

Ed,

Actually, you were correct both times. As I said above, the new requirements just came out last summer. The current Webelos IIs, having started nearly 2 years ago, are using the old requirements, which means filling out the application (I know, my six just did it Monday night). I suspect the majority of Webelos Is are also using the old requirements, again having started before the new ones came out. They will likely be the last ones who need to fill it out.

We have a close relationship with one Pack. We perform a crossover ceremony for all the Webelos II in the spring. Most start with the troop, some do not. The point of having them all participate is to let the Webelos know they are all welcome to join the troop and they don't need to make a decision at any one point.

SA

Good point Scoutingagain, I like your approach. Afterall crossing the bridge merely symbolizes the fact that the boys are leaving Cub Scouting - which they all are doing. It's what they do on the otherside that matters. Some will join a troop, others may move on to sports, school band, or other pursuits, but the point is that they are leaving and there should be something more for them other than a "Hey, thanks for coming".

I think it's also important for the Tiger, Wolves and Bears to see the Webelos depart as a group. Let them see who meets the boy as he crosses over the bridge -- they'll figure things out for themselves and make their own decision when the time comes. As for the special recognitions, by all means have it for those who have earned the AOL and/or all the activity badges -- and have it in front of everyone. Those who have worked for those achievements deserve the public recognition. It's rewarding for the achiever and inspirational for the observer.

CMFB, I hope all this has helped you come to your own decision.

Lawerly enough purcelce? Nahhh, I'm not lawyer material.

As for your questions.

We're expecting 5 webelos, and with our projected losses (aging out) we'll stay somewhere in the 30s for total enrollment.

As for summer camp, the boys chose to go to Camp Sunnen in Missouri. They've never been there nor have they ever done patrol cooking in summer camp -- should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a current (latest edition) Webelos Handbook this last weekend at a training conferrence.

The Arrow of Light requirements neither requires the scout to register, or to even obtain an application form. They must however attend a troop meeting, and have a conference with the Scoutmaster.