Bridge Crossing for boys not joining a troop

First, from the Webelos Scout Handbook, (I think this is the current one).

"Then get an "Application to become a Boy Scout," fill it out and have your parent or guardian sign it. Show it to your Webelos leader and talk about your interest in becoming a Boy Scout."

The Webelos scout is required to get an application from the SM during the unit vist, but he is not required to join a troop to earn AOL.

Next, the bridge cossing, in my opinion, specifically represents and celebrates the cub's continuation into Boy Scouts.

As a Cubmaster I had a special ceremony for scouts who were completing Webelos, another for those who earned Arrow of Light, and another for those "bridging" into Boy Scouts. They were not always done on the same evening.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We separate the AOL from the bridging ceremony as well. We recognize the Webelos 1 with the Webelos Rank and the Webelos 2 with the AOL at the Blue & Gold Banquet. We reserve this night to recognize them, since they have reached the pinnacle of Cub Scouting. They are put on a pedestal. We talk alot about their accomplishments and recognize the great work they've done. It's a great night for them and their parents.

We conduct Crossover at the March pack meeting. We have SMs and Scouts from the troops to which they are crossing there to welcome them. It is another special night for them. The focus of this night is on their future. We challenge them to continue on the Eagle trail. Any Webelos that chooses not to continue to Boy Scouting is not part of this ceremony. This ceremony is for the boys who are continuing along the Eagle Trail.

I like doing it this way for several reasons. One, we are splitting the "reflections of the past" from the "challenges of the future". Second, it gives the Webelos a month to catch their breath and celebrate their accomplishment. We encourage the den leaders to do something fun with their boys, such as a pizza party or night out. Last year, our boys worked on their World Conservation Award during this time. Then, we hit Boy Scouting full steam in April. It worked great.

In our Pack, the Webelos that have earned the AOL will receive it this month at B and G.

Next month they cross over to Boy Scouts with the help of the OA.

The bridge ceremony is a great "first reward" for choosing to stay in the BSA and join a Troop.

The boys who do not choose to continue do not get the honor of participating in the ceremony.

If everyone gets to cross the bridge, what's next?

Let them go through the high school/college graduation ceremony even though they have not finished the work? No!

Will future employers give them a job even though they went to class but did not graduate? No!

Ceremonies are a defining moment in a persons life and serve to mark the milestones.

That is why we spend so much time on ceremonies in the BSA.

Why dilute it?

Sad to say I have not been keeping up with all the changes in the Webelos Scout program. In fact I had to look up the Honesty Character Connection. I think it is a great addition.

As it was the old requirements that had the filling in of the application for Boy Scouts did make it seem that if the Lad wasn't going to join the troop, he wasn't really worthy of the Arrow Of Light.

The ceremony is a ceremony!! It can symbolize what ever the person in charge wants it to. I always thought of it as crossing over from the pack to the troop. However it could just as easily be a symbol of the end of one road and on to the next, with the Troop members waiting for those who opt to take that road and an open road for those that don't.

The last thing that we would want to do is see a little fellow have the last day in the pack be one that leaves a bad taste in his mouth. Who knows in the weeks and months that follow he might decide to join the troop.

From the Webelos Handbook page 430.. Complete and turn in a Join Boy Scouting application to the Scoutmaster during the conference.

This is from the old Webelos book, not the most current. It seems pretty clear to me, although I dont know if its been changed in the new book.

Personally I think the program makes too much of this award. Id much prefer to see some sort of official recognition of the boys who started as Tigers and moved on to BS. It's almost as if the AOL was developed as a consolation prize for those not going to BS.

When the ceremonies are done together at B&G, the boys who are bridging seem to care less about the AOL, all they really want is that nice new Troop neckerchief.

I agree with Bob and EagleInKY's ideas on separate ceremonies.

We started to do the same last year.

Sometimes life lessons have to be learned at an Early age and each decision has its consequences. I do not believe in social promotion or letting anyone take part because their feelings will be hurt. Tommy Tenderfoot flunked the 8th grade but were promoting him to the 9th grade because we don't want to hurt his feelings. What's next having Eagle Scout Ceremonies for Life Scouts who don't earn the Eagle Scout Award. We should. Because, we don't want to hurt HIS feelings. Stop suckling these Scouts and start teaching them about LIFE.

Listen to your Youth Leaders and you'll be surprised. Do you think it'll be fair for them that one of their own gets to bridge and not join a troop but they have too? Ask them how they feel.

By allowing them, who don't want to join a troop, take part, you CHEAPEN the Ceremony for those Webelos Scouts and their family's on making a decision to join a Scout Troop. You CHEAT the Scout Troop from receiving a potential member into their fold. Most of all you CHEAT that young Webelos Scout into believing that it's alright to recieve and take part and not put out. You send them and their families the wrong message.

The Separate Ceremonies on different nights will help solve that situation. That way a Webelos receiving his AOL and not wanting to Bridge will have his last night as a Webelos Scout at the AOL ceremony while the other Webelos Scouts move on to their last ceremony.

Matua

I agree fotoscout, I believe you are reading from an old handbook.

AOL recognizes that a scout has prepared himself to join Boy Scouts. It is the highest award in cub scouting. It is by no means a consolation prize.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Since crossover is such a solem and sacred ceremony, can someone please post a copy of the requirements for participating for the Crossover Award? What have these Scouts done to merit this high honor?

If your crossover ceremony has become a means to reward boys who have chosen to move forward to Boy Scouts at the exclusion of those who have not, then perhaps you need to rethink the purpose of the ceremony. Don't you think it is more signifcant to celebrate what the boy has actually accomplished over his Cub Scout carrer rather than just having completed a Boy Scout application? Would you feel better if he joined the troop then dropped out the following week?

This has nothing to do with political correctness, social promotion, or watering down the program. There's nothing to water down. The leaders handbook refers to this both as a graduation ceremony and crossover. The Ceremonies book simply refers to graduation. That it has risen to some signifcant rite of passage from Webelos to Boy Scouting is a local tradition at best.

If you want to make a big deal out of something, then make a big deal out of the AOL presentation. Bob's right, it's certainly no consolation prize.(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

I helped out with an AOL/Crossover ceremony a couple of years ago with a lot of undecided/no Webelos and I think we made it a success.

About half the Webelos had selected a troop and were definitely joining one of 3 local troops. The SM, SPL, and another scout or two from each troop were at the other side to greet them. The undecided/no Webelos were greeted by a collection of ASMs and scouts from different troops and they got a heart-felt, warm greeting with loud and clear invitation to come back for another visit to see how much fun we're having. The guys were having so much fun talking about exciting activities that the parents eventually wandered over. The troops had information packages to hand out. Over half of the undecided/no Webelos joined troops in the next few weeks.

I can certainly understand the trail that stops before crossing the bridge, but if the Cub/Webelos leaders don't want to embarrass any guys by leaving them behind, this is a way to take advantage of the emotion/excitement of the event to try one more time to capture their interest.

With all due respect to everyone who has made a post to this thread. I am sensing a level of vindictiveness. It is almost as if we are casting the boy away if he chooses not to become a Boy Scout. Im sorry, even though you have been a Cub Scout since 1st grade and earned your AOL you are a second-class citizen because you didnt join my Troop.

Why, if we truly put the boys first, would we ever treat one in such a fashion? It is about the boys it isnt about us the leaders. If it is so important to you that only those boys who are entering your Troop be part of the Ceremony then hold one of your own. In the Pack that I serve the Crossover Ceremony is a Cub Scout not a Boy Scout Ceremony. It is up to the SM of the Troop to decide if he/she wants to be at the ceremony to receive his/her new scouts. All the second year Webelos cross the bridge since they are entering a new stage in their life. Their departure from our Pack is a loss and they need to recognized and celebrated.

YIS

Paul

Yes FOG.

In this council, because of stocking, supply, availability, and inventory issues, many of the Packs are still using the old book and following the program as laid out in the old book. This Sept. the new Webelos will all be using the new book.

I see from the link in your posting that this particular piece of the AOL has undergone a big change.