Eagle Court of Honor

I have a question for you all. We are conducting a Court of Honor for one of our boys who has earned his Eagle rank. For several of the ASM's of our troop (including myself) this is the first Eagle Court of Honor that we've attended.

We were wondering:

Is it customary to get a gift for the new Eagle Scout?

If so, what sort of gift would be appropriate?

Thanks,

Doug - ASM T.59

• 4 years later...

We just had a ceremony for an Eagle Scout who was always a bit of a fire bug. We nicknamed him pyro many years ago and he could always be counted on to have a least one lighter on hand. We gave him an engraved zippo lighter with a raised eagle on the front.

ASM59,

Greetings!

A good gift is an Eagle Item that they may wear. Or a 5 year membership into NESA. (If the parents or Troop does not already provide them.) An Eagle Scout neckerchief or Eagle bolo tie.

Other items that may be found in a few shopping malls may be American Bald Eagle figurines. Anywhere between 10 dollars to a couple hundred.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Personally, I wouldn't give a NESA membership as a gift. NESA is a good group, but that's like making a donation in the fellow's name to the Sierra Club (or another group of your choice).

I really, really like the idea of a Buck knife. If I had been given such a knife at age 15, I'd still be using it today.

What I've given in the past is a copy of the 1910 BSA Handbook. Everyone gets a kick out of it.

On a different note, the nicest and most appreciated "Thank You" gift I got from an eagle was a copy of the BSA handbook I got my Eagle under as my book went for a little swim.