Too much help from Mom?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggest to 'Mom' that she back off on the June Cleaver stuff, and allow the boy to succeed or fail on his own. Of course, this suggestion would have to be made in a most sincere and respectful manner.

As for the Scout, if he never said anything to his Mom about letting him do his own packing, I'd express some real dismay. That may not be the case though. He might not have had a say in the matter. Some Moms are more Mom than others. I don't think I'd interrupt his progress toward rank on this if everything else in his portfolio is in order.

Uhhh i'm not qualified to answer that but if the kid is like 15 or 16 years old there is something wrong there. if anything if this is a new kid in the troop did he ever sit in a meeting about camping and what to bring and stuff? But he's life so he should know how to if they signed his book off. Ask him who signed off his camping requirments and then slap the guy and ask what he was thinking about at the time. (j/k)

Hey FOG, I know that Mom. She's in our troop, too. Actually, our case is a little different. The boy is a first year scout, but if he makes it to Life, I can see her doing the same thing.

This year at Summer Camp, this boy almost got sent home. Several issues (too much to go into here) arose. I called mom a couple of times during the week, and came within a whisker of sending him home. On parent's night, she comes up there. What does she do? She lets him go play with his brother while she packs his things to go home the next morning. I don't know about you, but if I had been that boy, and my parents had received the phone calls she received, I wouldn't be sitting for a while.

BTW, we're meeting with mom & dad to talk about this (again). It just doesn't seem to get through.

Not that I agree with Mom packing stuff for camp, but which requirement for advancement does this relate to?

It seems to me it would be appropriate to encourage the scout to do his own packing,(Mom can always check.)but I don't think it's a reason to hold back advancement if the requirements have been met.

I thought we had a similar problem with one of our Star candidates. Not related to advancement, but on camping trips just quizing the guys in the parking lot on who had what equipment, this one lad's reponse was alway's, "It's in my Dad's truck." Dad an ASM was almost always on the trip. The last two trips Dad couldn't go. Guess what, the kid had everything he needed and did fine.

My son wouldn't let my wife within 20 yds of his pack. She'd overload with so much stuff you'd need 3 Sherpas? to carry it. You should see her pack when we go on vacation.

SA

I'd find out why mom packs. The boy should know how and should do it himself. It's a great skill, is a way to be independent, and if he can't pack to go, how does he pack to come home? Has the troop taught the boys how to pack for camp, or has he gone through a merit badge that addresses it? Is he so busy with school and school activities that his time is limited enough that he asks his mom or that his mom offers? Unless he needs to know and practice packing for advancement, I can't imagine there's a reason to deny advancement, but I think it's a great opportunity to encourage him to begin doing this on his own. Let us know how it goes please.

Granted it shows his mother is better at being prepared than he is but do you know of a part of the Oath or Law it violates or an advancement requirement that requires him to pack his own gear.

More than likely the reason is that he doesn't have time when he gets home to pack. A simple suggestion that he should "be prepared" and pack the night before rather than have his mom pack for him would solve the situation.

Otherwise I would give it time, he will no doubt outgrow it. There are far more important things for the BOR to focus on.

Bob White

Ok if I'm the BOR member I say nothing to the scout but mention it to the S.M. to suggest to the SPL and or PLC that maybe a backpacking lesson may be in order during the troop meeting's instrucitonal time.

Further thought

Is it a question he doesn't have time or doesn't know what to bring?

Actually, you can't have to much help from Mom, after all

Peepin' through the knot-hole

Of Grandpa's wooden leg

Who'll wind the clock

When I am gone?

Go get the ax

There's a flea in Lizzie's ear

And a boy's best friend is his mother.

I fell from a window,

A second story window

Why do they build the shore

So near the ocean?

Who cut the sleeves out of

Dear old daddy's vest?

And dug up Fido's bones to build the sewer?

A horsey stood around with his

Feet upon the ground

Oh, who will wind the clock

When I am gone?

Go get the ax

There's a fly on Lizzie's ear

And a boy's best friend is his mother.

I'd say that the requirement is "Never do for a Scout what he can do for himself." Mom, a graduate of MS Wood Badge 2001, should know that.

Why does she do it? Probably the same reason that many of us are tempted to do things for our kids, we are sure that we could do it quicker and better. After all, if Junior packs for himself, he might forget his extra underwear.

Should he know what to pack? It's in the handbook, isn't it (at least it used to be)?

He was passed with misgivings.

"I go on a business trip of two days, take a laptop and small carryon. My family of 4 goes to her parents for one night, and we can fill a dumpster with all we take. I can't imagine her packing for Philmont"

We go away for a weekend and I take one small bag and a hanging bag for a pair of nice pants. My wife takes two suitcases and a hanging bag.

We go away for a week and I take one small bag and a hanging bag for a a nice pair of pants. My wife takes three suitcases, a duffle for her socks, and a hanging bag.

"Should he know what to pack? It's in the handbook, isn't it"

Yes it is, so is a section on baby sitting, butneither is a requirement for advancing. Let's keep things in perspective. What is needed for advancement is that the scout has completed the requirements, nothing more, nothing less.

The Scoutmaster should talk with the scout about being prepared, suggest he pack in advance of the outing.

Bob White