We restarted a troop years ago with a handfull of Webelos crossing over from the pack... Well, time goes by and we have an Eagle! (and the crowd goes wild!)

It's been a lot of years since I've had to plan a COH for an Eagle. What I'm looking for is a list of "outsiders" to contact... You know Mayor, Gov, President, Congress (both houses and both state and US), Arch Bishop, Pope... you get the idea. Anyone have a list you can post here or Email to me ( Chairman@onmyhonor.com )?

The Scouts parents were born in Portugal, any ideas on who to contact there?

Regarding the pope, you should contact the papal nuncio (pope's representative) for the United States. His name is Gabriel Montalvo and he responds to Eagle Scouts. This is much more effective than attempting to contact the pope himself. Archbishop Montalvo's address is as follows:

Most Reverend Gabriel Montalvo

3339 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W

Washington, DC

For some reason, I do not have a zip code.

I am not certain, but I think certain officials are automatically notified by the national office. Also, your local council may request recognition for Eagles. I know in my case my SM was sent a letter from the Assistant Council Scout Executive detailing who recognition had been requested from. You may want to contact your council and find out if anything has been requested, or if they have a list of people to contact that they can give you.

A congratulatory letter can be obtained from the President via the White House Greetings Office. You can contact them by snail mail, fax, or at their website...

www.whitehouse.gov/greeting/

Others that you should be contacting are you Senators and Representatives in Washington, but you might do this through their local offices (Hartford?).

Also your state representatives, senators, your Governor, and town officals. Get their phone numbers and start by calling them. You might need to mail them information, or they might take it right over the phone. Oh, and the BSA does not notify any of these folks. That's the troops responsibility, if citations and congratulations are desired. Somewhere out there on the web there is a sizeable list of folks to contact, with addresses. I'll see if I can remember...

Lastly, the troop needs to provide information to those from whom their seeking thiese letters and citations in a timely fashion, and not a week ahead. These folks need quite a bit of time to get the wheels turning.

Here's a good link to follow...

http://www.eaglescout.org

These folks have things pretty well organized in a fashion for both the Scout and the leaders to follow. There's a link on the page regading Eagle Citations that will bring you back to MacScouter where you'll find another link to Governmental Officials. There's a pretty good list there.

Here's the link to that list...

http://www.macscouter.com/Eagle/GovEagleLetterData.doc

(This message has been edited by saltheart)(This message has been edited by saltheart)

It may not be completely universal but seems like an Eagle Court of Honor is usually the responsibility of the parents of the boy earning it, not the Scoutmaster. Our troop provides $100 each for our Eagle COHs to encourage the parents to plan something special... not just another regular COH with an Eagle. Of course the parents (guardians) of the boy should listen to the wishes of the Scout in making the arrangements so it is special for him too. My own son was not interested in getting letters of commendation from any politicians unless they had been honored by BSA or earned Eagle themselves, but he enjoyed the ones from famous people like Michael Eisner at Disney.

Another idea that parents can help bring about is a lifetime membership in Nat'l Eagle Scout Assoc (NESA). Often the boy's relatives want to give something meaningful but don't know what to do, so if the parents ask them to all chip in together they can cover the fee.

What, exactly, does the NESA do as an organization? I assume they have some sort of newsletter of interest to Eagle Scouts. Are there any other opportunities as a member? I ask because I am reminded of a time (exactly one year ago) that I was speaking at youth's Court of Honor and it came up. Well, I was presenting special awards from dignitaries and reading some letters and there was a certificate of membership or the like from the NESA. I attempted to comment on the organization, but could come up with nothing more than the name of the organization and the rather obvious fact that its membership is reserved to Eagle Scouts.

On a side note, it's rather frightening when I am the closest thing to a BSA representative around.. haha