Age requirement verification

Doesn't sound like these boys are being rushed at all! It sounds like they are learning & earning at a good pace & holding them back could be detrimental to them. I do feel a 10 yr old Boys Scout is a tad young but there are exceptions to everything!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

. Bob,

I was stating what is in the requirements, not what I feel is best. Yes, the full two-year program will give them a full Webelos experience. The would be the best for the boys who start at the beginning of fourth grade but if they start later, they want and should be able to move into Scouts with their peers.

Actually, NWScouter, Sender stated that they started in May, 2003, at the end of THIRD grade, not 4th. He is planning to cross them into Boy Scouts in May, 2004, when they are 10.5 years old and finishing forth grade. They will have been in the Webelos program 12 months.

As Bob White stated they will be eligible.

I too have some conflicted feelings on weather they will be ready for the Boy Scout Program. They have had only 1 Webelos overnight and that was way back in the summer when they were brand new Webelos. They attended a Troop Camporee, which, unless there were activities specificaly designed for the Webelos level, BSA does not want Webelos doing. I can understand that some of the boys have been "in" scouting since before they were even Tigers, but that does not mean they should rush thru their final time as Cub Scouts.

Then there is the fact that they are going to be going to summer camp with the Troop immediately after crossing over to BS. They might not even get a chance to attend any regular Troop meetings or even achieve Scout status before they are expected to pull their own weight as part of a patrol at summer camp.

Bottom line is that it is up to Sender to decide what works for his Webelos. I just hope that it is the boys who are pushing to get to Boy Scouts and not Sender who is burned out by Cubbing and wants to get to Boy Scouts with both his sons ASAP. Being "rejuvenated" as the WDL is wonderful, but not so wonderful if it is because he will finally be able to get out of Cub Scouts and into Boy Scouts.

I think good advice has been given to slow down. However, if the boys are eligible to join a troop, they will do so whether we advise it or not.

My question isn't so much, are the boys ready for Boy Scouting, but is Boy Scouting (the troop) ready for them?

When I was a Scoutmaster, I picked up 18 Webelos in May. I had them for one camp-out and then nothing until summer camp. One of the fathers, my wife and myself took them to summer camp with only one older Scout there. Having been a 10.5 year old who crossed over into a troop in the late 70's, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Nah.

I was unprepared for the three screamers during the first night who heard a noice. Luckily they called out to the father they knew and not the Scoutmaster they barely knew. They were up at 4:30 in the morning (due to excitement) just like I was when I was there age -- but it had somehow become much more difficult for me to do.

We made it through the week, but it sure would have been nice to have gotten those boys in December and had some time to train them before heading off to summer camp.

DS

My apologies, I misread the post and they should not cross over at the end of the fourth grade this May but wait at least six months latter. Our council has a great resident camp for Webelos as do many councils that would be a great place for them to go next summer.

Lots of good points to consider here, I think it would be wise to wait until summers end to cross over. Summer camp is quite an experience for the first time, and I would hate to see one of them have a bad one because they weren't fully prepared. The suggestion to step up the outdoor side of the Webelos program echos my own feelings, and the Council has a well established program to enhance this.

Addressing the pace; I don't see it as a high speed, high pressure, top driven thing at all. They've earned four badges in the six months they've been at it. The Craftsman badge they're working on now my not come until January. Slow down?

Bottom line is that it is up to Sender to decide what works for his Webelos. I just hope that it is the boys who are pushing to get to Boy Scouts and not Sender who is burned out by Cubbing and wants to get to Boy Scouts with both his sons ASAP. Being "rejuvenated" as the WDL is wonderful, but not so wonderful if it is because he will finally be able to get out of Cub Scouts and into Boy Scouts.

Sometimes you take your motivations where you find them :) Without getting too much into my personal situation, let me just say that I've started back to school for a PA program. Up until now it's been prerequisites, but in Fall 2004 the program starts in earnest.

Don't take my last statement to mean the boys aren't driving this as well, and perhaps I've mischaracterized this as a decision set in stone, rather than the set of options I see it as. The boys with older bothers in Scouts are the ones who are the most hyped about it.

I do think all the boys would benefit from another summer as Webelos, and there are still plenty of activities and projects that they wouldn't do together as a group in boy scouts. In September, those who are ready will cross over. If the boy and his parents have reservations, I will assist them in transferring to the other Webelos den.

Keeping these scouts as webelos until September 2004 is a great decision, Sender! They'll get to enjoy a Webelos resident camp experience this summer that is designed specifically for them. That in turn will lay the groundwork for enjoying Boy Scout summer camp the following summer of 2005.

Sounds like your webelos are pretty advanced, so I recommend finding the best resident camp session you can for summer 2004, even if that means going outside of your council. What would make it the best? IMHO: webelos only; at least 4 days, 3 nights; offering specific activity badge workshops; sleeping in tents; and a great setting, deep in the woods (or, high in the mountains).

Have a great time with your den, it'll be over before you know it!

• 5 weeks later...

I want to caution you away from making a determination of destination based on a close call on a rule. I have worked in both programs and I can recommend both of them to you. I agree with using the Summer Camp problem as a good rule to slow the pace. Moreover, the Webelos program is first rate and the boys will not be shorted at all by staying a little longer. It sounds like you are a good leader and have provided a good program. Boys respond well to what you have done, now and in the future.

One more recommendation, that can't be helped.

Find a camp or an area with a small bridge (i.e., a real bridge, not one you can jump across) and an area that you can build a fire when you decide it is time to leave the Webelos program behind. Hopefully, it will be in the fall with a chill in the air. Invite the bridging troops to put on the ceremony. Heck, you might even have some of the O.A. come out for a part of it. Have a roll call of the past achievements of the group. You may have even documented part of the experience with a camera, moving or still. Project the pictures on a large screen. Make sure that the guys put on a couple of skits. Remember, that even the oldest gag is great when there are a few props and everyone is dressed for their part. I also want to recommend some background music somewhere in the ceremony and, of course, a couple of their favorite songs. These guys have come a long way together and have memories for a lifetime. Sadly, some will not stay in Scouting no matter what, but you will have been an important part of their development as young men. You will have given them something to hold on to when times get tough. What an ending or a start! Good luck with your decision. FB

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)