Where can I procure an Advancement policy book?

In the posts here I occasionally see references to the advancement policy book. I need one of these as I often have questions regarding advancement policy and hate to keeping asking questions here or of our scoutmaster. I usually know the obvious answers but have occasional detailed questions that need more than an opinion survey of our adult leaders. *g* Is this something I could buy at our council office? I don't think I've seen anything like that there. Perhaps I have to order it from BSA?

I'm developing an advancement guide for parents and I want to ascertain that everything in there is correct before I hand it out to them.

Charity(This message has been edited by CharityAK)(This message has been edited by CharityAK)

I keep getting the same questions over and over from parents - especially those crossing over from Webelos. I've encouraged them to read the Handbook, but they don't seem satisfied with that. I'm glad they are interested! The guide is just a 12 page brochure that explains how the ranks work, how badges are earned, what the Advancement Chair does, what parents do, what scoutmasters do, etc. There is a section on FAQ and a bibliography that lists websites and other materials that may be of interest. We had some problem with parents getting irate because their boys weren't advancing. These parents expected the boys to be spoonfed their badges and advancements. I'm hoping that a guide specifically designed for parents can help cut back on misunderstandings and give me something to hand them when I keep getting the same questions over and over.

Just a tool to assist understanding...

Charity

If your leaders are not trained and/or do not follow the scouting program then I doubt that 12 pages will be enough to cover everything Charity. However if you require your leaders to attend training and to follow the scouting programs and policies then everything a parent would need to know is already covered in their childs scout handbook.

The manual you are looking for is called the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual.

Bob White

I don't know that the training of the SM and ASMs really has anything to do with the ability of the parents to read and understand the handbook.

We have three Wood Badged ASMs but we still have guides. There's a two page handout about merit badges covering who gives out blue cards, how to find a MB counselor, who gets the blue cards in the end, and much much more. We have a similar handout about Scoutmaster conferences and BORs.

I don't have a handbook handy (old or new) but I don't recall anything in the official handbook about what night of the week BORs are conducted.