Boy Scout Handbook

Well ya see here sonny back in my day, we use to have to carry a 10 pound book with us where ever we went!

I remember carry that 15 pound book up to the top of ol smokey! Now all you younguns have to do is carry that little 4oz piece of wizardy!

Oh and by the way I liked the old books better than these new watered down electronic versions.

There was a lot more info in those old books!

You younguns just do not know how good yall got it!

Now do not get me started on these new 1" x 1" sleeping bags that wear nothing, why back in my day ...................

"While there may presently be a hold to the traditional paper versions, I do believe that they'll all give way to electronics in due time. Then what will we discuss? The font? "

Nah, we'll still argue about content.

I don't see books going away in the foreseeable future. No batteries. You can still use them if they get wet. Good emergency kindling. Easier to flip through looking for something that you barely remember.

Hi all

A friend pointed this out to me on a Forum totally unrelated to scouting.

>>Start building your library now. Though I don't like reading I buy many books just to have the knowledge on hand. I started this in the Boy Scouts. I saw how many things were in Dad's old handbook, yet not in mine and vise versa. Then they came out with about three versions while I was a boy each one without some info and including some new. I then started picking up any and all older versions. Partly as a hopby collection and also to have the knowledge that was "lost" in the newer versions. I've started doing this with some fitness books. I love the "bargain books" area at Barns and Noble when I venture in there. You can get $20 books for like $5. Even if you don't follow what's in the book it's good to compare the ideas.

• 4 years later...

Yes and a little bit (though page tears are more likely it seems). Just FYI in my neck of the woods you can buy a glue-bound copy, take it to the local Staples or Office Max, get it spiral bound and covers laminated, for less than it costs to buy the spiral bound version off the shelf at the scout shop.

Argyle,

OK, I'll bite.

I know that you are a Sea Scouter.

I know that the Sea Scout Manual is only available with the spring type binding.

I don't know why you would resurrect a thread from 2003?

Without in any way wanting to come off sounding unkind -What are you up to??

"Enquiringly Minds Want To Know"

Ea.

Lot of history on this site.....Eamonn, I have twin 10 year olds who will start Boy Scouting in the fall. Debating on spending the extra dough if it was worth it, doesn't should like it. Sounds like I'd be better off getting the cheaper handbooks and keeping them ziplocked.

Zip-lock is the way to go. Use a standard perfect-bound book ("glued") and keep it in a Zip-lock when not in use. This provides better protection than either the vinyl or cloth soft covers and costs pennies - cheaper than any other solution. This way the books will last from age 10 1/2 to 18. And if an occasional page does slip out, the Zip-lock keeps it from getting lost.

Others have spoken to the disadvantages of the spiral.

I have not looked into the new scout handbook too much. There are a few things that I dod notice though. I noticed that the pages were of the new "write in the rain" style. I can say that my scout years edition (10th) had the covers, covered in scotch tape so that they would hold up in the wet weather. Yes the book itself is also slightly thicker from the pages swelling up when they got wet. But this was a good book. I also remember the one before that that had a norman rockwell pic on the front with the boyscouts pointing across the river.

Here is another question. Do they still have the Boy Scout requirements book. I found mine and was wondering if they still did this. I also have my old Junior leader Handbook, Religious emblem Handbook, and OA handbook. Found them when I found a box with my scouting stuff init.

Yes, the Requirements book is published annually. It's usually February before it hits the shelves in my scout shop - about 4-6 weeks after the new requirements to into effect.

I wish they'd publish it ahead of time instead of after the fact.

Now you did it, Eamonn. Argyle closed his account!!! It was fun reading through the old thread, though...FOG, NJCubScouter, saltheart, KoreaScouter, TrailPounder, TwoCubDad...where are they now?