Merit Badges done during Troop mettings

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome beaver1onit! Pull up a log and grab a cup of joe!

I feel it is up to the Scouts. If they would like to dedicate a part of the Troop meeting to work on a merit badge as a patrol or Troop, that's OK. But to devote entire Troop meeting to merit badges, NO!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Beaver, you will get a variety of personal opinions on this topic at this site. Take them for what they are personal opinions. I urge you to make scouting decisions based on the scouting program. See page 27 of the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual (#33088D) for the BSA's method of incorporating merit badges into troop meetings. let the BSA determine the program you deliver whenever possible.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

The Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures booklet is over 60 pages long, and that is too much to type on a message board. Every unit should have at least one copy of this very basic publication. I can't see how a unit can properly operate without the basic guidebooks.

"but this is the boys decision"

Who made the boys responsible for delivering the scouting program? Nothing in the scouting program gives this responsibility to anyone other than adult leaders.

Who taught the scouts that this was a good way to operate a troop? Adult leaders are responsible for training the junior leaders in the scouting progam.

What BSA progran resources support this? No BSA program resource supports or endorses such a program.

So who is guiding the junior leaders and where are they getting their information from?

Bob White

Well, this is timely as all get out. Our troop had been having optional merit badge activities for 30 minutes before the troop meeting started - but it was announced at the last one that these would now be an hour long, as the boys "just won't be getting enough done" with only 30 minutes ... and I'm pretty dang sure it's the SM and his wife that came up with this bright idea.

The 30 minutes I didn't really mind as it was sort of "take it or leave it" - and my son "left it" for the most part, then we had a REAL meeeting which was fine with me.

We have a very weak SPL just now - didn't want the job, his dad forced him to run - and he's the son of the SM and not inclined to argue with his old man. I think the SPL can't think of anything better to do with everyone, frankly, and finds himself floundering with bored boys (and adults), and so the idea that some adult MB counselor will take the pressure off him was great from his standpoint.

This came up recently at one of our committee meetings, too. It required a careful explanantion of the intent of the MB program, how they're supposed to be earned, an explanation of the 7-part Troop meeting, showing Troop Program Features, and a practical example of why MB classes at Troop meetings ultimately don't work, in order for all those present at the committee meeting to understand it.

As I spend more time in Scouting, with more units, I'm sometimes reminded of that fable from India about the 7 blind men who are touching different parts of an elephant, and every one of them thinks they're dealing with a completely different object (it's a rope, it's a tree, it's a boulder, it's a fire hose, etc.). Same with us; people bring their biases to their volunteer work and somebody has to be able to see the whole creature and say "folks, this is not a tree, this is actually an elephant...".

KS

Our troop offers 2 MBs at most meetings. Since we camp every month, the other meetings are devoted to planning the campout.

Usually, there is a MB for the younger scouts (i.e. First Aid), and another MB for the older scouts (i.e. Chemistry, Electricity). Of course advancements are always worked on if scouts are not interested in the MB being offered. MB are worked on from approx. 7:30-8:30pm, and then a team sport is played from 8:30-9pm before they circle-up.

This is generally how our meetings run.

Sparkie :)

I don't like merit badge work at Troop meetings because I don't see that as the purpose of merit badges. I view merit badges as a way to recognize and reward scouts for exploring new subjects outside of Scouting activities.

If Mr. Brown comes in and yaps about Electricity for an hour or so, has everyone connect a buzzer to a batter, and then signs a stack of blue cards, that is outside the spirit of merit badges. It is bad enough that they do merit badges like this at Summer Camp, but troop meetings don't need to wasted in this way.

Bob,

1st off no one told them this is a good way to operate a troop. This is my opionion only but I think they are quite bored of tying knots and wrapping sprained ankles, do I agree with doing merit badges during meetings not so sure but I do not impress that opionion on them. Were going thru some challenging times with no JLT trained scouts.

Quite a bit can go on at troop meetings without doing knots or ankle wrapping. The number of games that can be played is nearly infinite and doesn't include basketball, volleyball, or capture the flag. Speakers can introduce merit badge topics to allow the boys to decide if they want to pursue it on their own.

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

It's probably not a coincidence that the same units that consistently fail to follow the "Program Planning" chapter of the Scoutmaster Handbook also consistently complain about having untrained, ineffective youth leaders. They're intertwined.

I know that in many cases, this is not one person's fault; a well-meaning, trained leader is facing years of inertia that's incredibly difficult to overcome.

It's certainly less work in the short run for the adults when we do the real leadership jobs ourselves, and merely issue position patches to the Scouts and let them go through the motions. Investing time, effort, and resources in training and developing them is difficult, but that's where the BSA mission is accomplished and the aims are achieved.

Believe me, there are times when it'd be much easier to throw the plan out the window and do it myself. But, I know that the very act of planning 7-part Troop meetings, assigning responsibilities to the Patrols and their members, following through on them, and seeing the results of their efforts does more for them in the long run, even if it isn't always efficient or "slick".

KS

Dont get me wrong guys...I'm all for following the book, maybe the real problem does lie with not having done a troop JLT, and not having the SPL following the program and the 7 part meeting planning. Years of doing it a certain way takes time to change I'm doing by best to get that going as well as recruiting, Wood Badge and my upcoming ordeal.