Our meeting tonight was rather poorly run. It was our newly-elected SPL's first meeting since installation. He's been SPL before, so it wasn't lack of experience - he just didn't want to take charge of the meeting. The boys were supposed to be brainstorming ideas of places to go /things to do and he was chiming in non-scout-approved ideas (country dance halls he couldn't get into as a minor anyway). He also complained loudly that he doesn't LIKE camping any more since there as a rainstorm on our last camping trip. His older brother, the prior SPL, tried to get him back on track but no.... So the meeting was long, loud, disorganized, and pretty non-productive.

Afterwards I mentioned to Mr. New SPL that I have seen him do better in the past and I hoped I would again in the future, and he said "Yeah, I know. I just don't WANT to be SPL again- Dad made me do it and now I' m stuck with it." He wanted his twin brother to have to do it - but his twin actually wouldn't even be in scouting at all if Dad didn't make him, he's more interested in 4H. And I'm having some problems imagining him being elected at all as his poor attitude is widely recognized.

The 3 boys discussed are all the SM's sons.

Help!

Sad as it is, boys are STILL boys, and many of these 'elected' positions go by popularity, or what is 'expected' of them, rather than the boys actually taking into consideration who would be a 'good' SPL (or any other position, for that matter)

This frustrates me no end - because I see boys or their parents pushing them for POR's just because they 'need' them for rank advancement, rather than because they are interested in or capable of doing that particular job. And I see other boys making decisions on who to elect - based not on ability - but on who their friends are, or who's 'bad side' they don't want to be on. (one reason I think all elections should be by paper ballot - not show of hands)

If the only SPL's in your troop ever has are always the SM's sons - well, then there is a problem - how can the troop possibly function with an unwilling SPL? and if he is doing it because 'Dad' wants hime too - well then, who is REALLY the SPL - the kid? or 'Dad'?

In the ideal troop, the boys will have learned their success depends on teamwork and good leadership - but in practice - they take longer to learn that than we hope they will!

Laura, I agree with what you are saying about it being a popularity contest.....

This summer when we had to elect the boys to be called out for OA. Well, we had 8 boys I believe who were eligible. Seven got chosen while I believe only three of them should have been and the one who wasnt chosen should have as well. We'll call him "Joe". So Joe was terribly upset, totally understandable. He almost completed Eagle, is a troop guide, and tries usually do get the job done right as quickly as possible.

He is one who gets picked on a lot, beat up, etc and that is the reason he didnt make it. Others, who shouldnt have, did because most of the troop likes them.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I (the SM) plan to talk with the whole troop for a full meeting before we proceed with SPL elections. We have a rather young troop (current SPL celebrated his 13th birthday this week), with the oldest boys being 14. My talk is going to concentrate on a description and the expectations for the various offices (primarily SPL and PL). Yes, some of the boys view the positions as just more work, some as status, etc. It seems cruel to some, but just like adults who elect some strange and in my view incompetent politicians, you dance with who took you to the prom. If the boys experience first hand what effect a good or bad SPL has on the troop, it is a great learning experience.

Have high expectations for whomever the boys elect. I constantly offer my assistance to the leadership or should I say I make my availability to offer assistance well known. If they choose my help, or any other adult leaders help fine. If not, they usually surprise me and do a good job on their own.

I also have two sons in the troop. Now, I'm the first to admit that they don't view their relationship as Scouts but as brothers. This can lead to many arguments if one (as a PL or SPL) tries to lead the other one.

Good Morning All

Laura and Hops_scout, I say this with the deepest respect from my heart, if you really believe this is just boys being boys, then you have set your expectations way to low. Have you never seen an adult election where the most popular person was elected because none of the candidates stood out otherwise?

These kinds of elections happen when the people voting don't see a difference in the choices. In the troop, that generally that means the adults have been doing too much of the work and not allowing the scouts to see what happens when a bad leader takes run things. If you don't see or understand bad performance, how are you motivated to seek good leaders? The pendulum must swing both ways. The same goes for OA, if scouts don't take pride in the requirements to be voted in AO, then whats wrong with electing anyone or everyone. There must be a since of pride that comes with responsibility. Pride usually comes from feeling good about yourself, which comes from hard work and doing a good job among your peers.

Sagascout, you have a more difficult problem because of the dad. 50% of good scoutmastering is the adults. Your job is hard because you must talk to him. Don't tell him your feelings so much as be frank and tell him about his sons. For whatever reason, he is forcing his sons to do something they have no desire to do and your program is suffering. Explain to him that leadership development is about giving boys and opportunity to work hard, struggle and grow. That requires scouts motivated and willing to work and struggle, not scouts who feel trapped and want out. Leadership responsibilities should be seen opportunities, not a death sentence. You need his help with the problem, so present the situation that way.

Second, a program shouldn't fall completely with the failure of one leader. How is the ASPL? Does he have the maturity and experience to learn how to write a meeting agenda and run the PLC meetings? Maybe this is the window opening is developing the PLC to spread its responsibilities a bit. Maybe the ASPL can take on the task of planning. You are not trapped, just in a dark place finding your way.

Im sure there are other suggestions from the great ones on the list.

Does this help any?