Proposed New Expert Horseman Award

Hey folks...not sure why people are getting bent out of shape over someone taking some initiative to put a new piece of programming out there...not like he's upping the 10 commandments to 15 ;)

Anyhoo, this discussion reminded me that at one time Senior Girl Scouts used to have Mounted Patrols or Troops who after developing their horseback riding skills and horse knowledge would put it to use doing horse camping, horse shows, gymkhanas, service projects such as maintaining bridle paths, etc. Mebbe your idea might mesh better with the Venturing program now? Controlling a horse at the level you're describing seems to me better-suited to older'uns...

Also agree with the poster who suggested hooking up with a group like the Pony Club - excellent idea - these other orgs have already developed levels of certification that might serve to further develop the program piece you have in mind.

(and I also want to humbly point out that skill progression is a *good thing* - in my opinion not emphasized enough in the BSA though there is a great deal in the BSA admire - GSUSA seems to have this better-understood. Currently GSUSA has 2 badges - one beginner level and one more advanced, and an Interest Project which recognizes higher application of skills coupled with service and career exploration - again, this might be worth looking over - there are a few areas where your program could be fleshed out a bit (horse diseases, etc come to mind)

They have to know about horse diseases for the merit badge. But, it could be added as a requirement for this award at a higher level of knowledge.

Since we're talking about a joint award already, what's your opinion as a Girl Scout leader about having the award be sponsored by BSA, GSUSA, and Pony Club?

I've been lurking here awhile, but this is my first post.

I'm an ex-Pony Clubber, current GS leader, and Boy & Venture Scout Mom, so my view on this topic is from all angles.

It's a neat idea, this joint award, but to the best of my knowledge, it'd be an absolute first. Although they have the same origin, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have very different philosophies. Two big examples are their differing views of homosexuality, and the involvement of church in each organization.

I surely do like the idea of a joint award, but think it should be for something less obscure than horsemanship. How about Patriotism? To me, thats a slam-dunk, who could argue not honoring Patriotism?

Rudd, just a comment, most of the requirements described for the award, except length of cross-country ride, are standard for a D-2 Pony Clubber, definitely not what Id label an expert (yet). However to evaluate properly, the level of expertise of the MB counselor would have to be very high.

I agree with AnneinMpls, this sounds like a great project for a Venture Crew. Or just an informal acknowledgement that this individual has a high degree of skill in several areas. My daughter is involved in GS, a Venture Crew, a Boy Scout Camp Instructor, and is a Congressional Award honoree. She wishes the Merit Badges shes earned at Boy Scout camp would count for something, but GS doesnt award for many of the things shes done. Funny thing is, the male BSA camp counselors have an informal non-award ceremony they do for the female counselors. Shes earned more BSA MBs than our Star ranked son. Yeah, Im done bragging.

The idea of a combined award is great! Do you think the two organizations could get past their basic differences?

I'm not familiar with Pony Club levels. Part of the reason the requirements are not higher is to allow for the differences in disciplines. An eventer, for example, isn't necessarily going to jump as high as a show jumper...and a Western rider won't likely jump at all. The other reason is that, as you pointed out, the level of instructor ability has to be very high. If I make the requirements much higher, we run into problems in that area.

Again, though, this depends on your definition of expert. The definition I use for the purpose of this award is that an expert is one who is competent in the handling and care of horses and can ride in his own discipline with a high degree of skill as pertains to general riding within that discipline. The point here isn't to demonstrate one's ability to ride like an Olympic dressage rider. Someone who can do the requirements here is not going to appear to be an expert compared to someone who competes in the World Equestrian Games in show jumping. But, is that a fair comparison? We're not talking about the competition circuit.

I would also expect the levels of "expertness" to be higher in a program like Pony Club that is designed specifically around horsemanship.

In sections like jumping there are options. You can do lower jumps (hardly expert), but more of them laid out in a course. Or, you can do a few cross country (jump height is less important). Or, you can go for complexity and height. A competent ring jumper to ME is one who can jump at least 3+ ft fences, oxers, gymnastic lines, bends, etc. Why 3 ft? Practical riding. I've never encountered anything higher than that in the field, excepting cross-country courses. Will that get you an "expert" rating in competition circles? Probably not.

That having been said, these are preliminary requirements. Things like flatwork may need to be improved. I'm personally retired from training, and most things with a horse are just things I do without thinking, so I don't always think of EVERYTHING that should be included. Feel free to make suggestions (privately, please, so the rest of the forum doesnt' get bored. :) )

Venturing Crews would certainly be eligible, and I have mentioned this to a friend of mine working in that realm of BSA.

I don't think the specific views of BSA, GSUSA and Pony Club necessarily have THAT much relevance when it comes to a horsemanship award. For example, there are churches that sponsor BSA troops with viewpoints that are RADICALLY different from BSA, and the same goes for religious awards. I also don't think the views of GSUSA and BSA are THAT different...or SO different that we can't come together for something like this. But, I might not have a full understanding of GSUSA policy.