Why no fitness requirement?

In response to a previous post, in this area of the state, walking to school is not an option. Even if the child lives across the street, a bus will pick them up. A lot of kids would LOVE to walk or ride their bikes to school, given the choice. Then, as soon as they are 16, mom and dad buy them a car, and the high schools have to build huge parking lots. (Don't criticize my SUV until you get your kids back on the school bus!!! But that's another thread!) Latchkey kids are forbidden from doing anything until mom or dad gets home. They must stay in and "do homework" (which usually involves an X-Box or Playstation). I know there are safety issues involved, but that's an adult problem, too.

Kids are not being taught nutrition at home or at school, and food choices are not encouraged nor enforced. School lunch choices now include pizza, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, fries, chocolate milk, on a DAILY basis. The school system has a lucrative contract with Pepsi to keep drink machines in the hallways. Both parents feel they MUST work, so, more often than not, dinner at home means something that can be microwaved or ordered over the phone. Heck, even the camp Trading Post makes 90% of it's sales from junk food. I formally complained this year because there were NO diet drinks available, so I drank water all week and took my money back home with me!

I remember summers in the 60's...you would get up at 8 am and grab your bike and disappear...probably rode 20 miles a day, all totalled...had things to do and people to see. Mom didn't hear from me until dinner time, 5 pm (missing dinner was NOT an option!), then by 5:30 we were back outside again until dark (or later).

So let's get the mirror out. Is it that the kids are lazy slugs, or is it what parents and society are teaching them, if even subliminally? Let's keep the blame where it belongs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hops, you are most unusual, at least in my corner of the globe. Very few walk to the local high school, even though they may live only a mile or less away. Fewer still ride the bus. Most drive. I know one girl who lives across the street from the high school and SHE DRIVES to school. It actually takes her longer to get to school by car than it would if she walked but "hey, walking is so lame."

I live right next to the baseball field which is near the school. I'm only 14 so I dont really have the choice anyway. It doesnt bother me either, because it is so close. The Junior High I went to was less than 2 blocks away. This week when I help at JH baseball tryouts (coach is a family friend), I will most likely ride my bike across town. There is a kid on my high school football team who rides his bike into town to weight lift every other day. He lives 4 or 5 miles out of town. And really, I dont care if it is "cool' or not. Let me tell you, to most, Boy Scouts isnt "cool". Its all a matter of opinion.

• 1 month later...

This was an interesting thread to read through. Obesity in children is a real issue. What to do about overweight scouts gets tricky. There's the hypocrisy issue when leaders w/a gut get on an overweight scout's case. Then there are the parents who will squeal that you're hurting their child's self-esteem. Then there's the "fat people's" lobby which is getting more vocal and powerful every day. It's just not acceptable in today's politically correct climate to address the issue of obesity.

I'm able to pretty well control this issue for my kids because we homeschool and I control their food intake. I also get to design our PE program. The boys are required to run 2 miles a day (I run with them) within 26 minutes. Five times a week minimum. This is through a hilly neighborhood. We also do martial arts 3x a week, regular and advanced class for a total of about 7 hours a week (which my scout cannot count towards his sport badge, fitness requirements or fitness award) And he's taking swim courses 3x a week working towards his lifeguard certification. Even with this my eldest son struggles with weight (carrying about 10 extra #s at 6'1").

I'm not sure how kids who eat mass-produced cafeteria food and only get PE 2x a week - much of that time consumed by crowd control - manage to stay in shape and control their weight.

Charity

"There's the hypocrisy issue when leaders w/a gut get on an overweight scout's case."

The hypocrisy isn't as great as you imagine. Most of us were fit as youth, that fitness started to fade as we got jobs, had children and aged. The time just isn't there for most adults to work at fitness. On the other hand, most kids find hours to play X-Box but can't do anything physical.

Just the other day, I was visiting a friend at his home, the day was beautiful about 75 degrees, low humidity, and light clouds. His teenaged son had a friend over and they spent the day playing some game on the computer. This friend lives on a 400 acre farm with woods, streams and lots of interesting places but the kids want nothing to do with it.