New badges? What would you like to see?

Way to go Laura . . . We'll said.

I believe that there are enough ideas here to get the Tailoring, Sewing, or Home Economics (whatever you all want to call it) MB created.

DS, National told me the same thing in '98, if Sewing (Tailoring) can become a MB. Someone has to do the research, design, etc. I was even helping a friend about the same time frame to create a Metal Detector MB as a hobby. I don't know what became of that.

I'm a self-taught Individual Clothing Repair Technician since I was in the military years ago. I got tired of buying brand new BDU's after tossing out BDU's in good condition that had small tears or paying a seamstress to have them repaired because my platoon sergeant said they were unserviceable. I invested in a Brother Sewing Machine that is still with me.

As with any badge, if you make it fun and you show enthusiasm in teaching the badge. The boys will enjoy it.

You know what, Let's just do it. It would be really cool to see a new MB researched and designed by the forum members at Scouter.Com or by one of its members.

I volunteer DS and OGE to lead the project. :-)

Having Fun . . .

Matua

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are going to think I'm sick (I'm sure some already do, due to my occupation :) ), but I've got some vacation time coming up two weeks from now and I think I'll actually start seriously developing a proposal for a sewing/tailoring merit badge.

I'll run it up the flagpole here once I come up with a first draft of proposed requirements and the sewers in the group can help me. Everyone else can poke fun . . .

DS

Good for you DS at least you will be doing something to make a change rather than talking about making changes.

One piece of advice. Start with a youth survey to see what the interest level. The more scouts you ask the better since this will likely be an elective MB.

Bob White

I once found myself as a Scoutmaster with only 4 active boys in the troop. One troop meeting I brought in two sewing machines and some fabric. We made some cool looking, black, blue and purple Irish Chain pillows. The boys loved the activity and those pillows kicked around on every camp out.

Eventually, we got too big for that particular activity, but that was good, too.

DS

hey, if there can be a 'duct Tape" badge - why not anything else?

seriously, where and who would you present an idea for a new merit badge to in BSA? is there a procedure for that?

i like the idea of a self defense merit badge - maybe it could be combined with a section on avoiding substance abuse, Youth protection and the like?? I know alot of our homeschoolers struggle with that Drug awareness requirement if their kids aren't in public schools with the DARE program....

Sadly, I have had to teach my son self defense moves - and not just because of possible bullies at school - he's used them sucessfully on his stepmother and dad who have been abusive.

whether they ever HAVE to use self defense or not - it is empowering for their self esteem to know they CAN have some ability to protect themselves.

as for the boys WANTING to do sewing merit badge or something similar - I may have spurred an interest in sewing skills this summer at camp - with my new BSA uniform pants -

you know how we all complain about the uniforms? the sizes, materials, design and prices?

and how they make the pants un-hemmed in all sizes? Well they had enough length, even for someone tall like me, to chop 'em off and make them into zip-off leg pants.

I've never had a pair of these type pants - to be honest - they just don't MAKE that kind of athletic wear in larger women's sizes - and even larger men's sizes just don't fit!

I LOVE my new shorts/pants! I'll get alot more use out of them with the dual length! and they would be an easy and very useful project for an elective badge requirement!

Cooking merit badge is one I earned in the 60's. It was a Eagle required merit badge. The one thing I remembered about it was that you had to help your mother with a fancy meal. Everything form planning, to cooking, to setting the table and finally to crave a roast or ham. When I got back in to Scouting I was surprised to see it out of the list and the requirements for it had changed.

"and finally to crave a roast or ham" - Now that is a requirement that I am sure all the boys in my troop could immediately pass with flying colors!(This message has been edited by acco40)

In response to the Fitness thread:

Let's put Cooking MB back on the required list and emphasize the nutritional aspects. Not just plan and cook a meal, but analyze the nutritional content...read the labels, total the grams of carbs, sugars, fats, protein, etc. Strengthen this requirement in Personal Fitness, and in rank requirements.

Leaders, make that a part of camp menu planning. Set limits, based on nutritional guidelines. Discourage the use of prepared, processed foods and require the use of raw fruits, vegetables and meats in meal preparation (remember the "Edible Plants" requirement for Second Class?). Have an "Aluminum Chef" competition among the patrols, with the raw ingredients provided.

Most of all, lead by Example!