New badges? What would you like to see?

You guys can talk all you want about elephants and flamingos but I can't shake that thing about Bob White standing naked in the corner. No matter what color you paint him, it's just not the image I wanted to start my day. Thanks a whole lot, dsteele!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packsaddle,

I couldnt find any reference to Bob White standing naked in the corner, but dont worry that wont ever happen. Bob will never be completely naked, he will always have a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook at his side, or front, or rear. ;)

I hope this makes you rest easier.

As I sit here CLOTHED scanning the news....by a funny coincidence MSN.com today listed 12 dead-end occupations. Guess what one of them wassewing machine operators. :)

See it here http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/99-699.ZS.html

So all you scouts yearning for the coveted Sewing Merit Badge, the line forms on the left. Luckily for you it is going to be a very short line.

Sorry DS,

Bob White

I think the idea of "how many" boys would choose sewing or tailoring as a life career is a moot point - how many choose basketry or pottery as a 'career'?

they don't all choose to be financial planners, either, but Personal Management is Eagle required and covers many necessary-to-life skills.

I worked through college as a seamstress doing alterations. I was making $12 - $15 an hour in the early '80's part time working for myself - easy stuff like hemming jeans, sewing on buttons and letters on sports jackets, and replacing busted jeans zippers for people who could have done it themselves easily.

"Tailoring" or "Quilting" are high art forms. "Sewing" is a necessary life skill. It's truly pitiful to see a grown man toss aside perfectly good, expensive clothes because he's too lazy or ashamed to learn to sew on a button or mend a ripped seam.

When I was in college I had 3 male friends buy their own basic sewing machines and learn how to use them. They didn't want to make their own clothes - they just got tired of buying new stuff when something no longer fit or got torn. They viewed it as an investment in maintaining their independance.

the facts are that people often don't marry (or find a mate) until long after they establish households of their own nowadays. not all women know how to sew, either, so Mom, wife or girlfriend isn't going to be around to save your (exposed) butt from that torm pocket! If a guy has to learn to cook for himself and do his own laundry, maintain his home (or apartment) and manage his finances, it makes sense that he should at least be able to do minor repair sewing.

I've started making my son do his own laundry (seeing as he WEARS everything he EATS) - i'm getting tired of scrubbing stains and washing his stuff twice. he's now learning to use a napkin and not his shirt - because HE's starting to realize it's not so easy getting his favorite shirt clean again! He's fascinated with my sewing machine - it's a machine! it does cool stuff! he loves anything mechanical. and as he learns how hard it is to FIX some of the stuff he rips - maybe he'll think a little before using his shirt to play tug of war with the dog!

maybe sewing doesn't deserve it's own badge - but it should be included in some kind of household management / life skills badge. Tailoring has it's values too - as someone pointed out tailoring is construction - you don't 'sew' a suit - you 'build' one. "Textiles" really doesn't cover any of this at all - it has to do with manufacturing and chemistry of fabrics.

Laura, I think my fascination with sewing began while watching my mother use her treadle-powered Singer. It wasn't so much the sewing as it was..how did that thing work? And the button-hole attachment just about sent me over the edge (I wish we still had that machine). Now one just touches an icon on an LCD screen and a robot does it all for you...not much difference at all, I still don't know how it works. In the future I look forward to the spare time to finely hone my modest skills. Embroidery anyone?

OGE -- That's funny and a good use of the terms.

I prefer a sharp or a between, myself. The wife does the needlepoint and the embroidery. Not a sexist statement, it's a matter of preference.

I like it when she does the crewel work :)

DS