New badges? What would you like to see?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, back as promised. Page 26 of the Advancement Committee Policies amd Procedures manual.

"Earning merit badges gives a Scout the kind of self-confidence that comes from overcoming obstacles to achieve a goal.Through the merit badge program, a scout alos learns career skill, develops socially and may develop physical skills and hobbies that give a lifetime of healthful recreation."

Exerpted rom page 185 of the Boy Scout Handbook..

A merit badgeis an invitation to an excitibg subject. ...Earning merit badge can even lead you toward a lifelong hobby or set you on the way to a rewarding career.

From page 123 of the Scoutmaster Handbook.

Through the merit bagde program, many scouts have been introduced to a life-long hobby or even a rewarding career.

I'm not saying there is not room for new badges, I just wanted to share some foundation as to how merit badges are selected.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

Bob,

Thanks for the info but what you posted doesn't explain the methods for choosing what topics become merit badges. It just explains what some of the results could be if a Scout earns those badges. Based on that, sweing would fit because a Scout could decide to become a tailor or costume designer. Actually, almost any topic would fit that criteria.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

As it has been pointed out sewing and tailoring are totally diverse topics. Sewing is to designing what home repair is to architecture...unrelated.

Let's be honest it costs money to develop and produce merit badge books and patches. The BSA cannot afford to have unwanted books and patches sitting on shelves. Does anybody see hundreds, let alone thousands, of scouts looking to be either a tailor or a costume designer? Show of hands? OK besides Ed. Anyone? Anyone at all?

Bob White

Me. In my spare time. Tailor, seamster, tinkerer. A life-long hobby.

I leave the wood working to my wife. My Bernina sewing machine hates her, but works very well for me.

I think I have a merit badge pamphlet or two to write.

Bob, the above post really didn't have anything to do with you. Your answers are good. I do know however, that I've asked about this topic among the professional group at national and the response I've been given as to why there isn't a sewing merit badge is "no one has written it and presented it." So I guess I need to write it and propose it to whichever committee it falls under.

DS

OGE,

If you paint the flamingos & elephants green they wil match you tent! Camo animals!

Bob,

Makes no difference how many people want to learn sewing or any other topic for that matter. Just because you don't see the need or don't want to doesn't make it a bad idea.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Now Ed, if I paint them green, no one will see them and then whats the point? Our camp is literally in the forest and there are trees and ferns everywhere.

What to do?, What to do?

I got it, my flamingoes and elephants will be alecia moore and thats it.

Ed, it's unfortunate that you allow your dislike for me to block you from actually reading what I write. I said in my first post in this string that I liked most the ideas but thought they were better suited as Cub advancement requiremnets rather than as merit badges. I was not the only poster to say that yet, you single me out.

At the point that the substance of your argumnet uses as its only supporting evidence 'just because you say so Bob doesn't make it right' it is probably best to let it go. Or perhaps save yourself some time and simply type "Says you!"

Bob White