Understanding First Year emphasis.

The question has been asked in another post regarding the connection between the First Class Emphasis program (often referred to as First Class First Year) and Troops that base their programs on the goal of achieving the Eagle Scout Rank (often called Eagle factories).

Now I have to say first, that to me this is the same as asking "what is the connection between floridated water and the sinking of the Titanic?" One was a good addition to the water one was poor management of a vessel in water. Other than that they have nothing to do with each other.

First Class emphasis is a good addition to the advancement program. Eagle factories are the results of poor management of the advancement program.

By the way the Titanic sunk long before Flouridation existed. Eagle factories existed long before First Class Emphasis was introduced so one could not have influenced the other.

First Class Emphasis has effectively retained new scouts and better prepared them as leaders by teaching them the basics of outdoor skills, along with troop and patrol management, within the first 14 months of membership.

It works extremely well in units that use it. It doesn't work at all in units that don't use it.

It is promised in the Boy Scout Handbook, explained in the Scoutmaster Handbook and in SM/ASM Leader Specific Training. It is supported with The First Class Tracking Worksheet, and The First Class/ First Year Recognition Certificate. It is administrated by the ASM for New Scout Patrols and the Troop Guide.

(The SM's role is to make sure there is an ASM for New Scout Patrols and a Troop Guide for each NSP.)

Eagle factories are a misuse of the advancement program and a mismanagment of the troop program. it is born from the ego of the SM.

The only advancement goal in the scouting program is Firt Class. All other ranks come from an individual path chosen by each scout, created by their personal interests and skills and their own personal goal setting.

The advancement role of the troop program beyond First Class is to introduce a scout to the Merit Badge opportunities and try to spark an interest. Also to provide a setting where leadership skills can be learned and practiced.

To force scouts to work on MB that are not of their individual choosing is detrimental to their development and interest in scouting, and has no relationship to the First Class Emphasis program.

I would be interested in the reasons units use to not follow the first Class emphasis program.

Bob white

Bob,

Very well - reasoned explaination of the two topics.

I have said we do not subscribe to First Class / first Year, mostly because I have alsways read into the program that "first year" was a rigid twelve months. your post suggests that it isn't as rigid as that. If you say "14 months", than I think if it's stretched just a little more, we do follow the program.

Most of our boys cross in April or May. We work like crazy to provide all new Scouts the oppurtunity to do all requirements for all the ranks to 1st Class by the time of our Court of Honor right after their second summer camp, or @ 16 months after they cross. the only two requirments we cannot (or will not) make available is the 2nd Class req for the drug and alchohol awareness program, and the 1st Class req to discuss with an elected official. But the program year our Troop develops takes into account all of the other requirments, and takes this whole time to make happen comfortably. We have had a few boys accelerate the process, and more than a few who take as much as 28 months (an extra year). But the vast majority of our guys finish up with Boards of Review at or right after summer camp.

the other emphasis of the First Class First Year plan is the new Scout Patrol. We go back and forth on utilizing this. In years when we have had 12 - 15 boys cross, we have utilized the NSP and created two new Patrols. We've also had 2 - 4 boys from a couple of different Packs cross, and in trying to keep them together, without forcing them together, we've placed new Scouts into existing Patrols. I've paid very close attention to the Advancement progress and the attrition rate in both circumstances, and, at least in our Troop, there is no real difference. At least not for the new Scouts. We get the chance to make Troop guides out of a few more older boys the way we do it, in that we still assign a Troop guide to each Patrol's new Scouts.

Mark

I believe that First Class/First Year, just like the Eagle Rank, should be the goal of the SCOUT. The goal of the troop, should be to provide the opportunity for the youth to obtain the experience and training that is required to advance in rank to 1st Class within the first year.

For example, in my Council our spring event was a "First-Aid-O-Ree." I am lucky to have a trained EMT (not sure exactly what his real title is) as an ASM and he did a wonderful job helping to teach first aid requirements to the youth (as requested by the SPL). The SPL and I knew what knowledge would be covered at the event and we geared four or five troop meetings toward preparation for that event. When completed, I reminded the boys that many of the skills and tasks that they learned and completed were the same ones required for Tenderfoot, 2nd Class and 1st Class. However, I felt (and still do) that it is their responsibility (not the Troops) to be aware of the advancement requirements and to notify me (as SM) or the advancement chair, or the PL (preferably) or their SPL that they have completed the task. Some of the boys did, alas, some did not. You can lead a horse to water ...

P.S. Now my question. Do you know the first place in the USA to provide floridated water to the community?

Answer - Grand Rapids, Michigan(This message has been edited by acco40)

Acco40,

I started reading your post thinking I was in vehement disagreement with you, but as I went on, it became obvious we actually agree.

We request that the PLC do the annual planning calender with rank advancement as one of three priorities. They comply. The program makes the oppurtunity available to finish 1st Class in about 16 months. We do try to remind them that what they are doing may make them eligible to be signed off for a requirement. If they don't take the steps to complete the requirment, or if they don't ask to be tested (if approprate) and signed off, we don't make them do it. And that's often why it takes a few boys more than 16 months to get to 1st Class.

I do disagree, however, with your position that getting boys to 1st Class isn't a goal of the program. Too much of the Aims of Scouting are accomplished through all that completing rank requirements provide for us not to make acheiving 1st Class a goal. After that, a boy as plenty of other oppurtunities to work toward the Aims, using the Methods. They don't have to continue advancing to continue getting value from the program. But it is very difficult to make that same statement before a boy reaches 1st Class. And if 1st class isn't a purpose for the program, what then should guide the youth leadership as they plan events?

BTW, I apoligize for all the typos in my previous post. I neglected to proofread before I pushed the post button. Any errors you see in my posts are generally ignorance. That post had far too many instances of carelessness.

Mark

acco 40

I think it is fine to want the scout to have First Class First Year as a goal, but unless the troop leaders provide a specific program that will make this possible it will never be more than a wish.

Keep in mind that you are expecting this year long goal to come from a 10 1/2 year boy who has jus...changed units, changed, leaders, changed social group, started a new program, has fewer adults to guide him, is trying to understand youth leadership, learn new skills, and be away for home for possibly the first time.

Thats why the New Scout Patrol program is so effective. it provides a buffer between the two program for the first year. duriing that year the goal is to teach and learn the basic skills ad principles of scouting so that a strong foundation is in place for the next 7.

Bob White

I gotta agree with acco40. FCFY should be a goal for the Scout & the unit should supply the resources need for the Scouts who want to achieve this goal.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

OGE,

Nope. Never said I support the program. I was just agreeing with acco40's post. If I do have a Scout who want so achieve 1st Class in his 1st year I will be more than happy to supply the resources needed to ensure that happens.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Random thoughts (not necessarily mine)...

What if the PLC has decided that their program has turned into a yearly 1c1y program and they are bored with the program being tied into the advancement of the new scouts?

(This one's mine) why is it so rigid, the 12 month calendar, on BW's part, when 14-16 month is actually ideal? (The troop I am associated with does a lot of service work as well as, IMHO, fundraising, that detracts from allowing the program to be an outdoors program).

How does one approach an old scoutmaster about changing his attidude on 1c1y and implementing one that more directly follows the program set out by the BSA

(this one is also mine). If the buffer zone is one year, and the goal is to achieve 1st class/1year and then the scouts are free to advance on their own, how does one combat feelings of failure for the small percentage (10-15%) of kids who do not achieve this goal while all their buddies did?

i can see how this is interpreted as a separate BSA program, because of the emphasis and I can see how scouters can misinterpret this as too much adult involvement, as that involvement in "making" this happen has to come from an adult. Do not think that I do not agree with the principle of this program. I do, I think it does keep kids in the program. I also think that the other side of the equation is that it also allows kids to find out that scouting is not for them. Personally have seen 3 great scouts quit, because they think that scouting is only about camping and they where not big on the outdoor aspect, but where real assests to the troop.

"What if the PLC has decided that their program has turned into a yearly 1c1y program and they are bored with the program being tied into the advancement of the new scouts?"

That's the entire point jbroganjr, It is only the program for the New Scout Patrol, The experienced patrols (those over first class) and the Venture patrols do a different program. The point here is to get basic skills and troop operation information established in new scouts during their first year.

It's when boys are in mixed patrols that they keep getting the same program over and over again because you are constantly trying to meet the needs of a mixed audience rather than have a seperate programs that are focused on the needs and characteristics of similar groups at similar ages.

By the way its not my rigid schedule it is a promise made in the Scout Handbook, and taught in SM training. First Class in the first 12 to 14 months.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Actually, we like to provide the resources to become first class in the first 9 to 12 months. That is, from when they join the troop (as early as mid-February, to as late as late April) to when we hold our OA elections in early February. That way, the boys become eligible. With ourdoor camping opportunities every month (except possibly December), the opportunity and resources are there. My experience is that about 50% take advantage of that opportunity and thus 50% do not.