New Scout Patrol / Merit Badges

To clarify, I understand the main goal of new scouts should be towards First Class rank, does this preclude them from earning merit badges during the first year? Some of the merit badge requirements overlap or are at least related to rank requirements.

There is no restriction from new Scouts from earning merit badges on their way to 1st Class. However they do need to get permission from their Scoutmaster when requesting a blue card. My personal opinion as long as it does not prohibit their rank advancement and have a buddy why not? It would be done outside of the troop meeting anyway.

I concur with Ron, there is nothing to say they cant earn a merit badge, but the emphasis should be on getting first class during their first year.

Our Summer Camp (as most do) has a first year scout program in the morning and in the afternoon the scouts are free to do merit badges. Most do basketry, leather work, and space exploration amoung others. That way while they may not come home from camp first class (few actually do) they do come away with a tangible accomplishment

We place absolutely no restrictions on a new Scout eaning Merit Badges during summer camp, although we sit down with every boy in the Troop to discuss their goals for the week, and new Scouts are encouraged strongly to spend time at the "trail to 1st Class" station.

During other parts of the year, when we give a new boy a blue card, we try to get him to agree to do one rank requirement for every MB requirement he does. Everyone agrees, no one really checks, and I'm sure that if someone did check, the ratio isn't 1 to 1. But the boys know that the bigger effort must be placed on rank advancement. If they have an interest in something else, I sure wouldn't want to stifle that. But we had one boy who flew under the radar for more than two years as a Tenderfoot, with enough MBs to easily be Star and almost Life. This was my fault. But as soon as we started coaxing him to work on rank, he quit.

I think it is detrimental for a new Scout to put the majority of his energy into MBs. summer camp, and special subjects excluded, we try to have guys work on rank advancement either first, or at the same time, as Merit Badges.

Mark

I tell all my new Scouts (and their families) that if they "show up", they'll advance to First Class. That's show up for meetings, outings, etc. Most of the advancement requirements through 1st Class will be met by active program participation.

Since MBs are done outside troop meetings/outings, there shouldn't be an either/or dilemma here, in my opinion. I don't shove any MBs down their throats, so if a first year Scout comes to me for a blue card, he's doing it on his own or with a buddy and is probably sufficiently motivated to do both at the same time.

There are some MBs, including Eagle-required MBs, that most new Scouts can handle right off the bat, or should get a blue card for early in their tenure. For example: Reading, Scholarship, Skating, Family Life, Personal Fitness, Citizenship in the Community, Camping, and others.

That said, there isn't an "up or out" rule that I know of in BSA, although FCFY is a retention indicator. Mark, your example is a good one. I read of another, perhaps in this forum, in which the lad was a 2nd Class well into his teens, and perfectly comfortable with it because he enjoyed the outdoors portion but wasn't interested in the leadership and responsibility that came with higher rank. As we all know, only a small percentage earn Eagle, and for some, Eagle's not a goal of theirs in the first place. I used to get frustrated when Scouts wouldn't take advantage of program opportunities they knew they needed for advancement (our recent orienteering hike is a good example -- some Scouts who needed it, and knew they needed it, simply didn't show up). I don't get worked up about it now. Life is a series of tradeoffs, and decisions have consequences. As I always say, you get out of it what you put into it. And, yes, they hear that from me loud and clear...and often.

If I had to pick a problem I wanted to have, I'd rather have first year Scouts who wanted to earn MBs too, than experienced Scouts who won't get off their duffs and earn that last MB they need for Life.

We have an Eagle COH tonight, and another in a few months. I like them not only because we recognize the Scout's accomplishments, but with the Troop in attendance, the younger Scouts especially will see that it's not some distant unattainable thing, but very possible if they work toward it -- and these guys worked their tails off!

KS

KS,

I do agree that some guys are not motivated by advancement, and that is fine. Once a guy gets to 1st Class, as far as I am concerned he can slack off all he wants, because, as you say, decisions have consequences.

But we take the position that until a Scout is 1st Class, we can't count on his skills as being sufficient to take care of himself or others while on most events. And this gets frustrating for the PLs when they have to plan around a 13 - 14 year old Tenderfoot or 2nd Class Scout. We make a big deal out of becoming 1st Class, because we think it really is the most important rank in Scouts. It's one of the reasons why our program also is designed to take 18 - 20 months to get to 1st Class instead of one year. When our guys get their, they KNOW their stuff, because the were taught it, practice it, and teach it to someone else along the way. This takes us longer than a year.

I am with you 100% about the value of the Eagle C of H. We just had one Saturday, and the MC was an Eagle Scout from 7 years ago. the new Eagle asked him to MC because it was at HIS Eagle C of H that the new Eagle determined his goal. And I was chatting with the new Eagle and our SM at the reception afterward, when one of our newer Scouts came up to the new Eagle and said that the ceremony made him want to be an Eagle too, and that if he made it, little Joey wanted the new Eagle to MC his C of H. It was a neat circle of life kind of momment.

How are things on your side of the world? Everything look like it will stay calm? Thank you for doing what you do. I appreciate it emmensely.

Mark

Mark;

Agreed; I think it's called First Class for a reason!

How's things here? Beautiful; spring's busting out all over. The air is thick with the smell of Magnolia and Cherry blossoms. I think the guy up north may have been watching CNN the last month, and the saber rattling has toned down somewhat. But, there's no telling with those guys. As Winston Churchill said of the Russians, they're a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, surrounded by an enigma. 50th anniversary of the Korean War Armistice this July...Korean War vets coming from all 21 countries who contributed forces -- this coalition thing isn't just a latter day invention!

We're all watching the SARS thing pretty closely, but no confirmed reported cases in Korea yet. What's next?

KS

Thanks for all the input. This came up when ALL the boys in the troop were asked to pick meritbadge classes for summer camp. The boys got so excited I would have hated to crush that. Hopefully it will turn out as OGE wrote, and they will work on advancement reqs. first.