Quick intro as work calls (I'm 5 - 8 hours in front of most of you)

I'm a scout leader and formerly cub leader in the UK specifically in Cambridge (as the username suggests)

Thought I'd sign up as I'm slightly curious about scouts in other corners of the world.

Like I said, pretty short!

Welcome ...

Pull up a log, put up your feet, and enjoy the virtual campfire.

A word of caution, sometimes the "flames" can get a bit heated, but keep a calm head and it will pass.

Nice thing is, the mosquitoes don't bite, and the weather is always perfect.

Welcome!

We enjoy hearing from those in other countries about the differences in their program. We have been following some of the changes in your country, and have had some debates about them. Their is one currently going on about your inclusion of gay scouts..

Ooooh lunch time is here and I can take a peak back.... I guess it's still pretty early across the pond *does the sums on his fingers*

Anyway thanks for the welcome, a slight flesh out on me...

Got enrolled into cubs when I was 8 by my mum entirely against my wishes (I was a procoscious child) when we lived on the edge of London (if news othe Potters Bar train crash in 2002 ever made it across the pond, that's the place) and they never managed to get rid of me!

I went right through cubs, scouts, venture scouts and ended up volunteering as a student cub leader while I was at univeristy in Durham (If your UK geography is hazy find Newcastle and Sunderland on a map, it's directly south of Newcastle and directly west of Sunderland), moved to Cambridge after that, ended up at another group then some idiot put me in charge of cubs. A few more years later we had a reshuffle and now I have 35 10-14 year old scouts on my hands in an utterly ramshackle HQ. One of my girls is going to Sweden in the summer for the jamboree (huzzah!)

Anyway I will probably type in English English (if you get what I mean) so if something makes no sense just shout.

Yes, I saw the thread about gay scouts, it made er..... interesting reading. I will comment further over there. And no worries, I can handle flamers!

Cambridgeskip. I am in CH part of the BSA'a Transatlantic Council. There are several BSA Units in the UK area, and a good friend on mine from my Bobwhite Patrol at Woodbadge is there. You can also get in touvh with the BSA in UK Units and get to know up close and personal the BSA.

Welcome BTW!

Hi Skip,

We need a few more people who can speak English.

I've been here so long that it has become "Home".

Still have a few pals who are active on your side of the pond. Along with a brother and sister in the Smoke.

I have watched and tried to follow the changes that have gone on.

Lat time I was in the Shop on Buckingham Palace Road, I loaded up with the then latest program books.

Some really good ideas and I like the direction things seem to be heading toward.

Not sure if they would fly on this side of the pond?

Many years back took a Troop from Fulham to camp just outside of Cambridge, can't remember the name of the site or village? -Little Something or other? (Maybe Little Abbyington??)

We arrived late on a Friday night, in part to my getting us lost and in part because the road to the site was marked with a big No Entry sign.

It was pouring down with rain.

The Patrols had to set up camp, in the rain and not make too much noise. -Guess you can imagine how that went.

We were using Patrol tents. Six man tents with no sewn in ground sheet, a sod cloth and a ground sheet.

Seems that one Patrol put the sod sloth on top of the ground sheet.

Next morning a couple of Scouts came explaining that their bags were soaked.

I was none to happy, knowing that someone would have to find a laundry to dry out the bags.

I kinda snapped at one Lad (Nicky Plumber, who got a try out to play for Chelsea, a great kid.)

I asked "Didn't you feel your bag getting wet?"

He answered "Yes Skip, I woke up and thought Core, I ain't half got sweaty feet!"

Drove into Cambridge found a Laundromat.

Remember having two little old ladies give me a hard time, making sure that the bags were really good and dry!

Welcome.

Eamonn. (Nothing to do with Andrews or This is Your Life!)

ScoutBox - you're sure what could help? Slightly confused there! Did you PM me and it's not come through properly?

Eamonn - thet would be Little Abington, we use it quite a lot, it's close enough that we can spend evenings there. It's due to have some new facilities put in some time soon and the village now has its own scout group that operates from there as well!

" thet would be Little Abington, we use it quite a lot, it's close enough that we can spend evenings there. It's due to have some new facilities put in some time soon and the village now has its own scout group that operates from there as well!"

Talking about facilities, another hight-light of that weekend was me finding a Patrol heating up soup in the latrines.

Needless to say I passed when asked if I wanted any.

Ea.