Ouestions for Eagle Board Members

I am the Advancement chair for my district and I would like some information concerning your District's Eagle Boards. First some definitions:

District Eagle Board:

In some Districts you may have six members on the District's Eagle Board and the same six members conduct each Eagle Applicant's BOR. I will refer to this as a "District Eagle Board".

Unit Eagle Board:

In other Districts, the EB committee sends one or two members to the troop and, with the addition of 3 or 4 troop committee members, they conduct the Eagle applicant's BOR. I will refer to this as a "Unit Eagle Board".

To the Scouters who have served on their District's Eagle Boards or are currently serving in a District that conducts "Unit Eagle Boards":

1. Who approves the Eagle project service plan? ...the Eagle Board Chair or any member of the Eagle Board?

2. How many representatives from the district's board do you send for a "Unit Eagle BOR"?

If you have any feelings about District Boards verses Unit Boards or strong opinions on questions 1 or 2 , I would love to hear them.

Thanks for your help. L-Owl

1) In my district, the District Advancement Chairman has the last say on Eagle porjects.

2)We send no one. I have sat on many Eagle boards but I was invited to be a member.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I am a member of our Districts Advancement Committee. The Committee approves Eagle Projects at monthly meetings. If we have questions, we send those back to the scout and the Chair Emails the responses. If further clarification is required, that is handled by phone, or Email. The Commitee has to be unanimous in approving the project

Eagle BOR require at least three members of the troop's committee and one representative of The Advancement Committee(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

We have Unit Eagle BORs.

1) District Advancement approves the proposed Eagle project.

2) Our unit Eagle BORs consist of: 1 rep from District AC, 3 committee members, and 1 or 2 representatives invited by the Eagle candidate.

It is a good working arrangement. The last board I sat on the boy's chosen rep shed some light on how he serves outside of scouting. Very helpful.

Our eagle projects are aproved by the SM, selected ASMs and the TC Chairman.

BOR are a member from district and leaders that have the most insight into the scout and his time in scouting. Leads to some very interesting BOR. Seems to help the scout realize how far he has come in his years of scouting.

YIS

I am currently serving as the assitant advancement chairman for our district. We use the unit Eagle board style.

1. The Eagle projects are approved by someone delegated to by the chairman with just that responsbility on the committee. Any one of us can approve them, but in practice he usually handles all of them.

2. We only send one representative to the Eagle board of review.

Our district policy is that a Scout gets to determine all the members of his board. The district advancement member makes sure the policy from national is followed on who can serve. In my experience of doing these, the Scout usually makes very good selection of people to serve. The last Eagle board I was on was comprised of all the scout's former Scoutmasters and his local parish priest. I definately wouldn't have picked such a difficult crowd for my Eagle board.

In fact mine was a district Eagle board when I went up for it. They used to hold them once a month and usually had three boards in a row. I had no clue who the men were that ran it and to this day do not remember their names. I would say that both ways work well. The real rememberence time for me was my court of honor and I got to have all the people involved with it that I liked.

In our council the district advancement chair is in charge of overseeing the eagle boards and approving projects however he may elect to appoint another scouter to be a board chair and approve projects. All eagle scout canidates must appear before a district board (troop boards are rare).

The council advancement comm is made up of one rep from each dist and a chair appointed by the council pres. Any apeals go to this comm before they go to national. Each year our council runs between 100 to 200 eagles.

This from the manual Advancement Committee, Policies and Procedures.

"The BSA has placed the Eagle Scout board of review in the hands of either the troop, team, crew, or ship committee responsible for advancement. The council will decide and promulgate which method or methods may be used.

The BOR for an Eagle candidate is composed of a minimum of three members and a maximun of six members, 21 years of age or older. These members do not have to be registered in Scouting, but they must have an understanding of the importance and purpose of the Eagle board of review. At least one district or council advancement representative shall be a member of the Eagle board of review, when conducted at the unit level, and may serve as chairman if so requested by the unit.

Because of the importance of the Eagle Scout Award, a unanimous decision must be reached as to the scout's qualifications. If a unanimous decision is not reached, a new review may be convened at the request of the applicant, the unit leader, or the unit committee. The review should take approximately 30 minutes."

Doug