Advancement Scrapbook

When my boys became involved with Scouting, I started a scrapbook for them. This scrapbook consists of a binder and clear baseball card display sheets and sheet dividers. My boys stored their rank advancement and arrow point cards by rank. When they crossed over to Boy Scouts that binder allowed them to then store their rank advancements on one sheet and to store thier merit badge cards under the Rank heading that they earned them. Example: Jason earned his first aid, cooking and cycling MB as a 2nd class. These MB cards are found under the divider heading marked 2nd class.

i Hope that this idea can help other parents to keep track of their son's advacement as well as having something to turn to if questions arise when a Rank was awarded or a merit badge was earned.

Earl 1111

I set up a similar kind of scrapbook for, not only my boys, but for my husband and myself as well. We put everything scouting in them -- Certificates, awards, newspaper articles, pictures, etc.

This scrapbook is a great way for the boys to keep track of their scouting history and can be nicely displayed at his Eagle Court of Honor. And it's a good way to keep track of those blue cards in case council ever looses the advancement record.

Our troop requires that the boys keep a book like this. (No we don't enforce it per se.) We strongly suggest that among any other things, this book includes rank cards, blue card stubs, special awards, etc. The reasoning behind this is that if there is a screw-up with a Scout's records, troop advancement can verify using that boy's advancement book. We warn the boys that failure to keep a book may result in problems proving rank, worst of which is being denied Eagle - all because this area can't seem to keep good records elsewhere. (I guess fear in the enforcement, after all.) Better a little effort, plus the bonus of a great keepsake for later, than the aggravation of potential problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Our troop as well uses a similar method. We feel that any way to assist the young men in understanding the importance of recordkeeping and organization is good. Plus at the same time it assists me as the scoutmaster to be able to check with the young man to make your our troopmaster software is correct and that he is getting the badges done.

I also feel it is a good thing to have this so they don't lose any handouts you give them.

As a troop's Eagle Advisor, I have found such a notebook is invalueable at Eagle time, since occassionally merit badges are not properly recorded at the Council Service Center(earned at summer camp, bought at a distant Scout Shop, etc.). These records need to be accurate there and a notebook like one we are talking about is great for tracking a Scout's progress through the system, and make a wonderful display at the Eagle Court of Honor.

I have suggested this notebook idea for many years at the various troops I visit. National now has created such a notebook, entitled Scout Memories, also a seperate one for Eagle Scout Memories.

A lot of Cub Scout leaders are starting to recommend this at the Cub Scout level. Then the boys and parents are used to the idea when they go to Boy Scouts. The proof of advancement is not as critical in Cubs but it makes a nice keepsake.

I have the cubs get a regular 3-ring binder. The best are the ones you can slip a piece of paper in the front cover. I give the boys stickers and let them decorate the front.