To quote Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, page 27: "There is no minimum number of hours that must be spent on carrying out the project. The amount of time spent must be sufficient for the Scout to clearly demonstrate leadership skills."

A piece of advice: record your time for the begining of your project; record all the time you spend planning your project and if you meet for an hour with someone from the benefitting organzation, that is 2 man hours, not one.

Ideas for Eagle projects can be found at: www.eaglescout.org

Hi again,

I saw a house a few streets down from my house the other day and it was just about dilapadated. I found out that a elderly, sickly lady lives there and needed help with the yard. This would include, trimming the hedges, mowing the lawn, and painting the house itself. Since this would beautify the whole neighborhood, could I use it as my project?

Thanks,

Hersh

The Eagle Workbook packet under the limitation section states " The project also may not be performed for a business or an individual,. . ."

It seems to me that for Hersh's idea to be approved he would need to work with a local organization that does this kind of work, i.e. weatherization program, community action agency, habitat for humanity, etc.,

Of course, that seems good to me. It would demonstrate leadership and use of his community resources.

The other question I have about your project idea -- mowing grass and trimming bushes is nice but how will you help this person maintain their home? If you can come up with a plan to keep this house/property looking nice that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

If I might back up several posts to address the fixing up of homes for shut-ins; there's an outfit called 'People Working Cooperatively' that specializes in just this sort of thing.

They do a Repair Affair in the Spring and a Prepare Affair in the Fall. Worth looking into perhaps; this is a really good cause and always in need of expertise on every level.

Good Luck!

Hersh,

As august a body this forum is, and as extensive its experience and resources, you should be seeking the counsel of your Scoutmaster, Troop Advancement Chairman or even District Advancement Chairman with ideas for Eagle Projects. They can tell you what has and hasnt been approved in the past and how to proceed.

Have you sought their help?

Let's back up a little, first you need to get the Eagle Scout Application (Life to Eagle) fron your local BSA office. The application explaines the steps you need to take to get to Eagle.Yes you do need signatures from your scoutmaster (Eagle Advisor) and the group that is lettting you do your project and your district Eagle advancement person. It is very important to follow the instructions. Your plan must be in writing and it must be signed then you can start to count your hours.

GOOD LUCK from the dog scout!