Let me start out by saying I am an adult, 38 years of age.

I do not have a wife or kids, but I was a scout in the 80s.

Originally I joined Troop 71 in the Herms District of the Mount Diablo Council, CA

Later after changing schools, I switched to Troop 111 also in Herms District.

I graduated really early and started taking classes at the local Community College, and lost interest in scouting. Well, didn't so much lose interest and I became interested in too many other things and changed my priorities.

I currently am very active in field herpetology and am considering becoming a merit badge counselor for the troops in my current local area (Redding, CA) but I have not yet started that process. I am in the process of founding a not for profit organization for citizen science related to herpetology, and I want to finish getting that up and running first.

However, recently on facebook I was reminiscing and looking for old friends, and searched for "Tara Hills" - a community close to where I grew up that many of my old friends lived in. I found a recently started group for my old troop 71 (that now seems to be defunct), the "Tara Hills Pioneers".

The reason I am here, I am interested in restoring my old uniform to its former glory. I know the BSofA has guidelines on when and under what conditions a uniform may be worn, but I'm not planning on ever wearing it other than *maybe* to official BSofA sanctioned events that I may attend where the nostalgic uniform would be appropriate.

When I do become involved in a local troop for merit badge counseling, any events that require a uniform I would wear a modern uniform, that's not the place for nostalgia.

But anyway, I'm hoping this forum can be a forum in helping me proper restore my old uniform to it's former glory, and in a way that does not violate BSofA guidelines which I respect. I also suspect this forum may be of assistance when I'm ready to approach local troops and council with respect to becoming active again as an adult scout merit badge counselor.

So, that's me and why I'm here. I'm probably mostly going to lurk except when I have specific questions, as I've been out of scouting too long to be an information resource on most things scouting.

Welcome HS! I can't help you with the restoring, but know others might like to know specifically what is wrong with your uniform. Is there damage to the uniform, or is it more a question of if you can put newer emblems & patches on an older uniform..

Any old uniform is still official uniform, and I have seen a few scouters wear them for everyday use.. Looks nice in my book.

Hello Herpeteology,

Welcome back to Scouting!

Personally, any uniform a person takes pride in is a good one to wear in my opinion. There's a lot to be said for wearing the uniforms of the past and explaining their significance to Scouts. I'd say that would be especially true wearing the uniform you wore as a Scout.

But you are certainly entitled to buy a new uniform if that's what you'd like to do of course.

Having experts as Merit Badge Counselors is a great thing. You might want to consider contacting one or more districts and asking about Merit Badge Colleges where Scouts can choose among merit badges offered and learn about them in a relatively structured program.

Welcome back, glad to see ya stepping up and pitching in.

As far as the uniform, a MB instructor has to register, and can wear a uniform. the fact that the uniform is vintage matters not at all. Once uniform, always uniform. Heres the key question, do you want to restore the uniform for display? If its for display, put it back the way it was when you were a youth. If you intend to wear the uniform see the BSA Insignia Guide. As an adult what goes on the uniform, and where in some cases, changes quite a bit. If you wear the uniform, it must be with the correct insignia for your current position.

In my time Ive work Cub Scout blues, Boy Scout green, Explorer green, Boy Scout Oscar De La Rente tan, and Centennial Tan. I even have my original red and whites, from before my council offered a CSP. Id like to find an Oscar De La Rente explorer green in my size, I dont like the Venture spruce