Eagle Religious Reference

Curious to know if anyone has heard any info regarding the "religious" reference letter for Eagle Scout candidates. Scuttlebut has it that it will be difficult to accept a letter for an Eagle candidate who is not a member of a church, synagogue, etc. I'm trying to figure out if this is something being cooked up at the district/council level or if national is pushing something. I have some very definite feelings about this, but am looking for any info that we are headed toward a stricter interpretation of "a Scout is Reverent."

Reverence isn't found only within a church and neither is the origination of a reference letter. A scouts duty to God is displayed in his everyday life in the way he cares about others and respects the life that God has given him. Get a letter from someone he knows that can attest to those attributes.

Best wishes,

Bob White

I feel the same way Bob. Apparently this came up a at recent Eagle Board of Review in our troop. No problems during this particular Board, but word from the District Advancement Chair was that something may be coming down the pike. I am trying to get additional info, as I was not sitting on the Board. The gist of it from those who were in on the Board was that it was, in essence, going to take membership in a church to get through the Eagle reviews.

My personal feeling is that "membership" in a particular church is, in and of itself, no indication of duty to God. I have had the pleasure of knowing quite a few scouts who are not members of a church, do not attend church services on a consistent, frequent basis, but certainly live their lives in a manner that is most consistent with the Scout Oath and Law. I don't however, wish to start a thread on the merits or lack thereof on this point of view. Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything along a similar vein.