• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually according to meritbadge.com. (one of my favorite sites in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD), it states to earn a palm you must:

1. Be active in your troop and patrol for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after award of last Palm.

2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.

3. Make a satisfactory effort to develop and demonstrate leadership ability.

4. Earn five additional merit badges beyond those required for Eagle or last Palm.

Merit badges earned any time since becoming a Boy Scout may be used to meet this requirement.

5. Take part in a Scoutmaster conference.

6. Complete your board of review.

I dont think awarding palms at an Eagle Court of Honor would be appropriate, unless the scout made Eagle and the Court of Honor did not occur until more than three months after his Board Of Review. Then I would award all Palms he has qulified for. Earning a palm is more than getting 5 merit badges, it is also being of service to the troop.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I have personally known only one scout since I have been an adult who ever earned a palm. This was several years ago and the requirements may have changed somewhat. In that case the palm was presented at his eagle court of honor. Even with the time in grade requirement this could have been totally legitimate since DOR is the date of the successful BOR. In the case I am thinking about, the boy would have had his BOR much earlier, although I don't know how much earlier. Personally I don't see why palms could not be presented at an eagle court, if in fact they have been earned during the interval between the BOR and the ceremony.

The advancement recognition processed is designed to recognize each boy 3 times.(Can we recognize positive accomplishments of young people too often? I don't think so)

First-when he completes the requirements. This could be a hardy handshake in front of the other scouts during the closing portion of the meeting.

Second time, as soon as we can get the rewards in our hands, (this is hopefuly by the next meeting).

The third time is at the quarterly Court of Honor (here they are presented with the decorative record card, unless they have just completed the advancement within the last couple of weeks, and you just got the award in to give him with the card.

This process works with any advancement includiing merit badges.

The date on the Eagle Scout Certificate is the date of the Board of Review. Many Eagle Courts can happen 3 months after this date. The council person should check to verify the 3 month time that is required between each palm (National dose not review palm applications).

An Eagle Scout must wait the 3 months before his first palm (it can be a silver palm if he has a total of 36 merit badges) He can continue to receive palms every 3 months until his 18th birthday

Don't you have to get the palms one at a time, for each 5 merit badges? Thus a silver palm would take 9 months at minimum.

My own sons will end up with plenty of palms, assuming they stay active in Scouts, which is likely because all our family will be active in Scouts. :) We are using them as part of our homeschooling, so it works well for everyone. I would love it if they could jump through the "palm ranks" at their own pace, but I still think they are limited to "5 at a time."

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Brad

OLdGreyEagle is right on the money! A scout becomes an Eagle immediatley on completion of his Board of Review. God forbid it should take 3 months for his Court of Honor, but if it did, then he could recieve his Eagle palms at the same time.

This subject comes up several times per year at our council and many advancement people and DE's are not sure of the rule. Now what I was able to find out after I called the National office and what I was told is being taught at the advavancement training at Philmont; a scout must have an additional 3 month tenure (gone are the leadership requirements) for each palm and he can receive a silver palm provided he has enough merit badges. For example a 17 year and 6 month old scout with 96 merit badges recently pased his board of review for Eagle Scout but he will only receive 2 silver palms. He would be entitled to receive 5 silver palms (21+ 75). Now if his Scoutmaster turnes in a report for a silver palm every month will he receive the 5 silver palms - yes; will it be official - who knows, no one will catch that mistake.

My question stems from my boy's interest in badges. He is 12 and so not really ready for an Eagle any time soon, but by the time he gets there he will have a great deal of badges. He has earned all but 2 Eagle required badges ( they must be done within the troop by policy) and many more within the troop, with small groups, during summer camps. He has attended conservations weekends, worked on outdoor type badges at the two week-long sessions of summer camps (things like swimming, Lifesaving, canoeing, horsemanship and the like, and gone to a number of MB colleges. I know there is another thread on MB Colleges, but the one thing I do know is that he throughly completes all prereq.s and always reads the books. I know he works harder at the badges in smaller groups and the prereq.s that he does for MB Colleges than anything he does in the troop. At any rate my point is that he will have many palm worthy badges done by the time he is mature enough to do Eagle. Just wondered since he will have earned them long before his Eagle if he might be able to be awarded them at the Eagle court. Seems reasonable to me.

Yes yarro he can get them at his Eagle Court but only if you make him wait 3 months from the day of his Eagle Board until the Day of his court. This would seem to me to be an extreme delay on the scout. Why not give him his Eagle presentation on a timely basis, and then his Palms at a quarterly COH following the 3-month wait period? (or at the first appropriate opportunity following the 3-months)

Yes, this is what I was looking for.

I still thought the requirements for each palm was 3 months time, but the posts above indicate it is 3 months for any number of palms.

From meritbadge.com:

After becoming an Eagle Scout, you may earn Palms by completing the following requirements:

Be active in your troop and patrol for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after award of last Palm.

Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.

Make a satisfactory effort to develop and demonstrate leadership ability.

Earn five additional merit badges beyond those required for Eagle or last Palm. Merit badges earned any time since becoming a Boy Scout may be used to meet this requirement.

Take part in a Scoutmaster conference.

Complete your board of review.

You may wear only the proper combination of Palms for the number of merit badges you earned beyond the rank of Eagle. The Bronze Palm represents five merit badges, the Gold Palm 10, and the Silver Palm 15.

This would mean that you must earn the palms in order, one for every 5 merit badges and 3 months time.

If someone has something that shows differently, I would like to know, but this leads me to conclude that the only way you could get a silver palm at an Eagle COH is if the COH was delayed at least 9 months.

Brad