Greetings bold scouters

Greetings Fellow Scouters,

While searching infos on how the BSA had changed since my cub scout to boy scout days from 1984 to later part of it, I saw this great forum. I just signed in for my son's Tigercub Den Leader together with my wife from last year's adventure. Since then I have this eagerness from within to return again as a paying tribute to those camping, pathfinding, and some rafting days all that was given to me for almost 8 and another years from Cub Scouting through my Eagle and the OA.

But I have noticed various changes such as the Tiger Cub programs, exploring becoming Venturing, Leadership Corps gone, and the old council and OA lodge that I had disappeared through a merger.

I will certainly post comments and or inquiries in the light of educating others or me learning from others.

Regards.

Greetings,

Things are always changing, some changes good others not so good, and the decision of whether they are good or not vary depending on who you talk to, but this forum is not shy to give you it's opinion of everything and anything.

Welcome

The secret to being a Tiger Cub Den Leader is remembering that Tiger Cubs can be interested in ANYTHING! For five minutes ---ten minutes tops.

Get a copy of the Cub Scout Tiger Cub Den Meeting Planning sheet and use it to plan your meetings. It carries you along from activity to activity with elements that repeat from meeting to meeting and others that are new each week. It's well worth following in my view.

Tiger Cubs is the best year of Cub Scouts, and the easiest to be a Den Leader.

Welcome, leading your son is going to be as much fun as it was to be a scout when you were a boy!

FIRST - GET a Tiger book

Read through it and see what your gettin yourself into!

SECOND - Get Trained

You must have Youth Protection training just to be able to submit your application to be a leader, and you probably took it online at https://myscouting.scouting.org You can take ALL of the Cub Scout Leader Basic Training online. Take it, don't be afraid to take it again and again.

Taking the class in person has the benefit of you being able to ask someone with experience any questions you may have and to network with other cub scout leaders. So consider tthis if it fits your schedule!

THREE - failing to plan is planning to fail

SeattlePioneer mentioned the planning sheets, also consider the Den & Pack meeting resource guide, you can buy it online in print or electronic versions (link below).

Some packs want you to use this exclusively, others not at all. Most are probably somewhere in the middle, bottom line it is a good resource with an entire year of meetings already planned out. The Dens in our Pack varied soem went entirely by the book, 1 den used the book but in the order that best suited them and a couple other dens did some planned meetings and some of their own meetings...

Wether you choose to follow the book or your own program try to have as much of the year planned out.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Default.aspx?cat=01DDL

FOUR - have fun

get the boys out, get the boys having fun. Journey to Exclelance will measure the Packs success by how many boys advance in rank, you should measure your success by how often they are smiling and laughing!

I agree with you guys. 'appreciate all your advice. I bet that what's important is for me to plan then lead the den in monthly meetings. Get the boys' earn their tiger cub totem and not pushing them to succeed, but to participate and enjoy the time together.

I can see the importance of every adult partner's participation in the go see it outing here.

As district membership chair, helping get new Tiger Cub Dens started each spring in every pack is a goal of mine.

To do that, I will be doing Tiger Cub Den Leader training for new parents this Thursday, June 9th. I have put together a Tiger Cub Den Leader Handbook of materials that help explain the Tiger Cub program and provide materials to help plan and manage a den program.

This is followed up by our Tiger Twilight Camp in July, which meets in the evening for two days during our district daycamp, and during the afternoon of the last day of camp so Tigers can shoot BB guns, bows 'n arrows and do other day camp activities.

Parents who take the training will be den leaders during the Tiger Twilight Camp.

The aim will be to have those new parents trained and experienced in planning and leading dens and den activities so they will be ready to take charge of leading their Tiger Cub dens.

This will be my third year as the Tiger Twilight Camp Director and my second year leading this integrated approach with the Tiger Cub Den Leader training.