Ok, not totally new to reading the forums, but new to posting.

Hi!

My son is just finishing up his Tiger year. The husband was TDL this past year, and will be running the Wolf den next year. I

And me? I am the new CC (by trickery, as you can tell from my name). See, the CM approached me at the next-to-last pack meeting and asked me to be Kitchen Coordinator on camp trips (in my former life, before stay at home mommy-ing, I ran restaurants). Sure, I say, no problem. Then he says, well, one less thing to worry about...now we need a secretary, CC and popcorn kernal... and then he gave me that look. You know the look. /sigh

We really need you, he says. It's only one hour a month, he says. With our current CC leaving (her boy is moving to BS), we are lost, he says. /double sigh

So here I am, the new CC and KC to boot. But that's ok, because I volunteered one of the other Tiger moms as secretary, and her husband to sign up to do either a 2nd Wolf den or to be the ADL to my husband. And I'm volunteering another mom to take over as popcorn kernal. If I have to work at this, by goodness, so do they! /evil chuckle

>

'atta girl! Your Cubmaster has the right idea, and so do you!

Pack leaders need to be constantly looking at parents and sizing up who is capable of doing what. Some aren't capable of doing much at all. For the rest, you need a strategy to draw them into the social heart of the pack leadership.

Usually the recommendation is to start by asking new parents to do some small task very soon after the family joins the pack. That gets people started, and you learn whether people WILL help, even if with a small task. Those who do a capable job usually find the task fun and rewarding.

That's your oportunity to ask them to do another, more complex task. And you proceed to reel them in!

That's really what your CM started by doing, although he didn't give you the time to have a success and evaluate you willingness and ability to do a job like CC.

The risk with the approach he used is that he might wind up asking the wrong person to be CC, and then you can be stuck.

But you are obviously taking the position seriously.

You are doing a fine job in recruiting several new leaders right off the bat. That's a large part of the job the CC needs to be able to do.

Good luck with your position! It sounds like you are getting off to a great start!