So, I have two sons, 16 and 14. (A & B)

A has played team sports and is in marching band. When he's in one of these activities, he's committed to effort, practices, takes advice, gives advice.

B (a Scout) has never played any team sport, but is now in marching band. So far he doesn't get the idea that he has to work outside of the rehearsals to become proficient. I can see where this is going to lead him into issue with the other section members and the band as a whole. There's a lot of kids (and parents) putting a lot of time (10-15 hours a week) and $$$ into the effort.

I think the issue is that B doesn't understand the concept of a team, he's focused only on his individual effort. He helps out on Eagle projects, CS projects, etc. but those don't seem to be focused on the performance as a team, only on the result.

I've been trying to come up with an example...but I don't know if it will work.

Say 100 kids go to Scout Summer Camp and work on a new Teamwork MB. At end of the week 99 have completed the requirements, 1 has not. Because 1 did not complete the requirements, none of the campers are awarded the MB.

Like I said, I don't know if this will work.

Get him to try a "rock and Roll garage band" with some off his friends - watch how quickly they weed out the one/s who can't play, or learn new songs, or won't practice to come up to the level of the groups play.

Leads directly to the discussion you want to have and is in the same field making comparisons easy.

BTDT, worked great, Orchestra for us instead of Marching Band but the comparison is there.