Registering Parents

They can appear on the charter as ScoutParents or Tiger Cub Adult Partners, but this does not make them background checked BSA leaders.

You can register them as MBCs for free, which does require a background check and YPT but does not accrue tenure or put them on a unit roster.

Aside from college scouters, the only position to "hide" people in is committee or assistant SM/CM/DL/WL.

I like the British model of having sectional assistants and occasional helpers for leaders not fully able to commit to being unit leaders or assistant unit leaders. They also have Scouts Active Support (>25 alumni/retired scouters) a sort of holding tank for district events and campsite support. It used to be called the Scout Fellowship.

Yes. We have a general "Committee Member" position that we use when registering adults with BSA. They can also register as Tiger adult partners. I believe most (if not all) the required training for committee is available online.

These types of leaders (we call them non-uniformed leaders) hold a variety of positions in our pack: popcorn kernel, volunteer coordinator, awards chair, etc.

I was able to get a myscout account without registering...I think by registering as a scoutparent I believe and was given access to most training. Which I started taking out of interest in the program and boredom one night. Then the next thing I know I'm out shopping for a tan shirt and green pants.

I was able to get a myscout account without registering...I think by registering as a scoutparent I believe and was given access to most training. Which I started taking out of interest in the program and boredom one night. Then the next thing I know I'm out shopping for a tan shirt and green pants.

What is it you hope to accomplish by registering them?

Merit badge counselor isn't a unit position, but it is free, and it triggers the background check.

If you them to think of themselves as registered, but not give them anything in particular to do, we would tend to register them as committee members, but not assign them any actual role.

We register 1 parent with each scout.

It's about the only way a self chartering unit can ensure they always have enough registered leaders to choose from, and once they fill out that leader application and do youth protection training, it's pretty easy to get them to do the next step, which is to actually volunteer to take care of something the pack needs help with. It also gives some parents a bit of a better feeling since it gets a background check on the parent that usually brings the scout to meetings and stays.

They are committee members by default.

We register most of them in August when we do roundup, which costs $6.75 with insurance. That's pretty cheap for a background check, and it gives us til recharter in December to get them trained and find their actual position in the pack, or to move them to scout parent.

The Scout Parent program is a Godsend from National, AFAIC. When you have a full committee, each with a job, why add more registered committee members without jobs? What useful purpose does it serve? The Scout Parent program helps to keep parents involved, yet lets the troop function at it's best. A good Scout Parent Coordinator acts like a CC for the rest of the parents, and it sure does cut down on the length of committee meetings! Ours would be 3 hours or more because of Parent MCs who were only there to ask why Little Johnny isn't First Class yet! (Ask the SM, not the committee!) Endless questions/issues like that have no place at committee meetings, and we don't deal with 'em--just refer it all to the SM, and OUTSIDE the committee meeting! The committee needs to deal with the business of the Troop! NOT individual parent concerns!)

The SP program mentors parents with specific committee members in our case--doing a specific job or assisting with a task. I like to think of it as a corps of future MC's-In-Training! You'll often find willing, active parents ready to step into committee openings when they occur!

• 3 weeks later...

I want everyone registered, and require it if they go on campouts, if for no other reason than to have the background check run, and to add just yet another level of protection for myself in case the unthinkable occurs.