an "attaboy"

Karma credit...

warm feeling inside....

Smile from someone who needed a lift...

Letter to frame to hang on the wall...

a possible job offer...

a new friend...

sore muscles, in a good way...

"Show me what a man does with his hands that I may know his heart" (Amish proverb)

There is a huge chasm between what a kid will do for himself and what he will do for others in today's culture.

I once was told at one point, that maturity progresses through life by means of focus.

A newborn baby is 100% self absorbed. I'm wet, I'm hungry, I'm cold and YOU need to do something about it!!!!

As a person matures, the focus begins to shift towards others until one achieves the ability to 99.9% focus on others. It's the basis for marriage, for family, for friendship, etc.

If somewhere along the way this process gets derailed, the individual will never reach their full potential. Many believe this process gets slowed with the definition in our society of adolescence. Some cultures feel that 12-13 year olds are mature enough to handle marriage, family and adult commitments. However, our culture doesn't support that and is willing to halt the maturity process until the "child" reaches 18/21 years of age and then they can re-kick-start the maturity process if they are able. Some just can't/don't/won't.

Scouting may be from a few generations in the past, but in 1910, schooling for the majority ended at 8th grade and as a mature adult they went out into the world to enter into marriage, employment, etc. Yes, the world has changed, so has scouting. It's unfortunate.

The mantra seems to be, What do I need to do to get MY Eagle!!!

Stosh

You need to train your guys to just to service not for the rank advancement, not for any perks, not for high school graduation but because service is what scouts do. Not grudging, here sign off my service hours on this form service, but cheerful and reverent service. Do some guys complain? Yes. Do some guys get it. Certainly. And when they grow up some will be jerks and some will be good guys.

You're a scout...do the right thing.

In February I had a wonderful moment when I present a scout with his Chief Scout's Gold award (it's the highest award in the 10-14 scout section in the UK). It wasn't the first that I had given out but what was unique was that he completely didn't realise he had completed it! He's one of these lads that signs up for everything, if it's happening, he's there. Not because it will tick off part of this badge or that badge but because he just loves being a scout and what we do.

When I gathered them in a horse shoe and said that I had a CSG to give out I even saw him looking around trying to guess who it was, completely unaware that it was him.

A truly wonderful moment, I wish there were more like him.

I was a scout from 96-02, then went off to college and work until last year when I got back involved as a leader. I knew that scouting had changed, as the times do, but I didn't think I would've been this pleasantly surprised. In my day, the teenagers usually complained about service...but the teens have now love doing service, just so they can say they did something good and helped someone out. The younger scouts don't get it yet, but I figure its because their young and haven't fully grasped the concept and logic. Back in March, we were at a district service weekend, and one of the 12 year olds was complaining that he paid to work for a weekend. Before I could say a word, one of the older scouts said "no, you paid so you can eat this weekend...the service you're doing for free, just to help someone else out". At that moment, I truly realized that this kid knows what it means to be a scout, and I had an ear to ear grin.

"The younger scouts don't get it yet, but I figure its because their young and haven't fully grasped the concept and logic. "

Yeah, I agree. I won'r be upset or feel let down by a Tiger or even a Wolf who wonders what his take will be. Of coure he wonders what he'll get out of it....and yet, we are about to spend another 3 or 4 years showering him with patches and awards every time he does something.

Of course, by Webelos I , I'd like to think they are starting to get the idea and concept of what true service or helping out means. Once they are in scouting, I hiope the know ity without having to think it.

But then again, I guess there is something in it for me when I do stuff to help others: I get a warm good feeling inside and I feel proud of what I do.

But you know, at the same time, even councils bribe the oldest scouts and adult volunteers: Go to Beaver Days and camp for free!

Spend X amount of time doing "that" and get a discount on the next time you do "this".

WOW! You have to pay to go to beaver days? You'd think they'd bend over to get you there.

We don't pay, but we do provide our own food and cook it ourselves...which honestly, we like better as we can decide on our own menu and what size the protions are.

The camp will open up swimming for us with their qualified people, and will allow gun/ archery ranges to open as long as each group has a certified/qualified person available.

Beaver Day is a combination of Cub Scout Family Camping and Boy Scout Troop camping.

There are service projects available for Adults and Scouts to help with the improvement of Camp xxxx.

There are activities in the way of belt loops such as Badminton, Volley Ball, BB Guns, Archery, Geology just to name a few.

Boy Scouts can earn merit badges such as Wood Working, Home Repair,Electricity, Painting and more.

Register now!

(* Merit Badges & Belt Loops are subject to change*)

Cost: $30.00 per Person with a cap of $100.00 per Family

Wow! Ours is definantly different:

Beaver Day at Camp Bowers

Scoutember 17th , 2011

" Beaver Day (Scoutember 17th) is a day long program during which units and individual volunteers work on improvement projects at Camp Bowers and Camp McNeill Cub Scout World. Projects for this weekend are determined by the Council Properties Committee. One major focus of this weekend will be painting the buildings at Camp McNeill. Feel free to bring any tools or painting supplies you feel you may need to help carry out this project.

This event is completely free! Your unit can camp at either Camp Bowers or Camp McNeill Cub Scout World. All your unit has to do is provide your own fod andany additional equipment you feel you may need. In addition to the volunteer work, Scouts will have an oppertunity to take advantage of open waterfront on Saturday afternoon. "