A Wonderful Eagle Project Fund Raiser

Last Sunday I was honored to be invited by my grand-nephew, who is 15, and working on his Eagle project, to participate in a fund raising recital he developed. He has what I would say is an above average project, and he "is in charge".

The recital included about ten numbers done by about a dozen of his friends, both boys and girls. He also let his little 8 year old sister and a friend do GOD BLESS AMERICA at the start. What was most impressive was the way he calmly (especially compared to his mom) took charge setting things up and adjusting. His parents made a huge effort to not take over, though it was hard for "mom".

There were only three adults involved directly in the actual program, and we were limited to very small parts. His father, my nephew, did an invocation; I was asked to say a "few" words about earning Eagle and the intent of the project in the process, as well as set up a Scouting display; and his mom's brother, a doctor at the children's hospital for whom the project is being done said a few words as to how and why he felt it was worthwhile. All the rest was choreographed and organized using only 14 to 17 year old teens. It seemed to be a huge success, though total donations were not yet tallied when I left. It was pretty much a full house.

I am looking forward to seeing the end result, a video designed to walk a child and his parents through the process of an operation at the hospital. The hope is that by having this video available, they can ease the stress that is so common for the children and their families, as they will have a better understanding of what is going on. Besides making the video, with his uncle's help, he is buying the equipment to do it and present it, and donating it all to the hospital.

Yes, I am already proud of him. And I am looking forward to being at his Eagle presentation in the near future.(This message has been edited by skeptic)

Sounds like a well-planned project that your grand-nephew will be able to look back on with pride. I'm especially impressed that it falls outside the "construction zone" category of project (not that there's anything wrong with those!). I wish him and his team all the best!