Tourette Scout Presentation -- Need Advice

I have a Boy Scout (my some) 1st Class who has Tourettes, Asbergers and a few other disabilities. He is excellent at Scoutcraft and loves scouts but has gotten a certain amount of bullying from the other boys who do not understand what Tourettes is about. While the SM and ASM's are cracking down on the bullying behavior my son and I would like to do an "in service" presentation on Tourette's to the boys at a Troop meeting. My son is pretty open about it. I am a member of the Tourette Society of America (TSA) and have some material. I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on how to handle this sort of thing. Especially if they know personally of any older scouts that may have done this.

If you have an interest get signed up as a Disabilities Merit badge Councilor, and offer it up to the Troop on an off-meeting day and include a presentation on your specific topic. The MB book on Disabilities Awareness is pretty good.

Not sure if it is possible for your son (based on comfort level) but the presentation would be WAY better received by the boys if your son could do it himself, because at that point it is "hey guys this is me and why I am the way I am so lets all get along" not "this is why you need to treat my son special andI need to protect him." It is something he will need to deal with for the rest of his life so if he can "learn to deal" in the safer environment of Scouting it is bound to help in the larger world.

Just my $.02

:)

Video would be a good approach if he can't get up in front of people for the prsentation but I would still encourage a Q&A period afterward (with you if neccessary) to help him stretch that comfort zone a little. :)