Yea, there's different levels of lying, just like everything else in life it's not black and white. But I think if we're going to have a discussion on Scouts not telling the truth than I think we should concentrate on the significant infractions.

Q- "Why were you late for the camping trip"

A- "My dad was late getting home from work"

Truth - Kid wasn't packed and ready to leave.

Lying, yes, a big deal to me, not really.

Sometimes you've got to pick your battles.

Scout goes home and tells mom that no one will help him on First Aid. I get a call from mom so I question Scout at the next meeting. The truth eventually comes out that the scout didn't ask for help, he was too busy goofing off. But mom expected some progress on FIrst Aid so it was easier to say that no one would help him.

We've probably all had something like this happen before so what do you do?

I sat mom and Scout down and let them know that there are people willing to help but it is the SCOUTS responsibility to ask. If one of the older Scouts who can sign off on requirements blows him off he is suppose to come tell me ASAP. I also started coming to all meetings a 1/2 hour early to help all Scouts and I keep track of who shows up and for what. Now if I get another "Nobody will help my little Scout" call I know if he's come early for help.

This might not solve the lying problem but it took one opportunity away and improved our program.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end the only person who has to deal with the lie is the guy or gal you look at in the mirror every morning.

If you can deal with live in a world of lies and still look yourself in the eye then OK.

I can't do it. I live every day like my last. No regrets, No apology's or thanks left unfinished. Sure there are things I could have done better, but it was my best effort.

Agreed, but that's just us. In the end we have to face ourselves but we are in the business of developing character and good citizens.

Seems like kids today lie on a daily basis, sometime about some serious stuff, without a second thought. We need an effective way to counter that. I don't have the answers, but I keep trying.

I handle the passing of untruths the same in all aspects of my life, remembering that your actions are so loud I can't hear what you are saying. If you are going to lie about the little things :

"Q- "Why were you late for the camping trip"

A- "My dad was late getting home from work"

Truth - Kid wasn't packed and ready to leave.

Lying, yes, a big deal to me, not really."

How am I going to trust you when you tell me that you really did not take Billy's Ipod?

How am I going to trust that you will watch out for your fellow scouts on the next patrol outing?

How am I going to trust you to set a good example to the new scouts?

A scout is trustworthy meaning he is worthy of my trust, if he is lying how am I able to trust him?

As to what to do. Same principle, do it the old fashioned way EARN IT.

House, "Everyone lies"

Reagan, "Trust but verify"

Among the illusions we allow ourselves such as 'security' or 'love', I also include 'trust'. The only reason to cling to illusions like these is pragmatic - they allow us to operate as a society even though we violate them so often. There simply is no option to the illusions.

Telosian to Kirk through telepathy, as Christopher and Vena retire to their fate, "...they have their illusion and you have yours. May yours be as pleasant."

Live long and prosper