SPL reports to committee

Our Committee is great (thanks to our CC). The SPL delivers a report, makes a few requests (we need new lantern globes - the windstorm took out two of them), and asks for any comments. Our CC ALWAYS ends his bit with "is there anything the Committee can do for you?"

It works well for my SPLs - they get adult association, and the Committee functions to support him.

For your CC that wants a report one month in advance, I would be tempted to request information FROM the Committee 6 weeks in advance so that the SPL could make their report! That would be a passive-aggressive power play, of course - but could be fun to do.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds to me like the committee chairman is trying to hold the senior Patrol Leader to a higher standard than he is willing -- or able -- to meet himself. Is this something new which is being enforce

Our SPL routinely attends the committee meeting every month, and gives a short, informal report if he actually has anything he wants to discus. It's a great way for the adults and a representative of

Scouting units should scale up and down depending on resources and interest.  No no youth scouts want to be leaders?  19 inactive scouts and 7 active scouts?  Sounds like the structured program is not

if the purpose of an SPL to attend a committee meeting is to deliver a report that is just not the way the program works.

An SPL should hold PLC meetings. A committee chair should hold committee meetings. The Scoutmaster should attend both of these meetings (i.e. they should never be held simultaneously and even better, committee meetngs and troop meetings should not coincide). The committee should have a secretary. The troop should have a scibe. They should be working closely together and share meeting reports and helping to set agendas if needed. The PLC report - written by the Scibe and approved by the PLC should be the communication vehicle.

On rare occasions, the SPL may invite certain committee members as a guest to the PLC. Vice versa, the committee chair may invite selected youth leaders to attend a committee meeting. But it is my belief that other than the Scoutmaster, neither the PLC should expect regular participation by any participation or conversely, the committee for any youth.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Thomas54 - I don't agree with how you see CM as being made up by parents who want to pave the way for thier son's. I'm sure this may be the case in some units, but I hope not all. The reason many of us join the committee or other position is because they know that if these roles aren't filled then the program they want for their son wouldn't exist. there wouldn't be any camping trips if none of the adults went, there wouldn't be any MB if none of the adults registered as MBC...

1) The committee should have nothing to do with merit badge counseling.

2) Patrols may camp without adult supervision.

Now, I do agree that a committee has a useful function. That function is not to cherry pick the program side but to ask how they may support the program side.

• 13 years later...
On 5/4/2010 at 2:11 PM, CalicoPenn said:

Scoutmaster is responsible for the program side of the Troop. CC is responsible for the administrative side of the Troop. Youth leadership, such as the SPL, is part of the program. The Scoutmaster is the voice of the PLC, including the SPL, for the committee. There should be no need for the SPL to attend any meeting of the committee - that's what the SM is there for. There is definitely no need for the SPL to give a written report, that's essentially pre-planned by the CC, to the CC.

The CC is out of line - the SM needs to tell the CC that the SPL's will not give written reports to the CC, and they will not attend Committee Meetings. If the CC balks, the SM contacts the COR, explains the issue, and if the COR doesn't agree to back up the SM, the SM hands his patch over to the COR and tells him "good bye and good luck".

If I'm the parent, I'm telling the SM that my son will not be doing the SM's job by providing reports - written or oral - to the CC and Committee. If it's pushed, I'm counseling my son to take on a different role (Den Chief comes to mind) and give up SPL.

Current SPL here, I'm an SPL for a troop just outside of chicago and im not yet in high school.  I became SPL 8 months ago and had rebuilt the troop. I agree with you ( that the SPL doesn't go to committee meetings) but they had decided that the SPL runs the troop meetings, PLC's and has the job of CC so also runs the committee meetings too! I was told at the end of my 6 month term that since no one else wants my position I either do it again during the school year or we don't have an SPL and we are disbanding. I also don't have a patrol leader, scribe or any position other than Assistant spl and quartermaster that is the most inactive scout in our troop. as a full time student with a job, and on a national gymnastics team it simply isn't possible. and not to mention but there's 19 active scouts and 26 scouts total. 

any advice?

14 hours ago, TroopSPL1 said:

Current SPL here, I'm an SPL for a troop just outside of chicago and im not yet in high school.  I became SPL 8 months ago and had rebuilt the troop.

Congratulations.

I agree with you ( that the SPL doesn't go to committee meetings) but they? had decided that the SPL runs the troop meetings, PLC's and has the job of CC so also runs the committee meetings too!

You cannot be the CC (Troop Committee Chairman). That is a registered, trained adult leader position. Was that a typo?

I was told at the end of my 6 month term that since no one else wants my position I either do it again during the school year or we don't have an SPL and we are disbanding.

Who told you this? But regardless, you and your SM should be training junior leaders or is that the issue - you need to train your replacement?

I also don't have a patrol leader, scribe or any position other than Assistant spl and quartermaster that is the most inactive scout in our troop.

Not much of a PLC. Just you, an ASPL, and an absent QM?

As a full time student with a job, and on a national gymnastics team it simply isn't possible. and not to mention but there's 19 active scouts and 26 scouts total. 

Train your ASPL to replace you. If  ASPL does not want to step up, then find another ASPL. With that number of scouts, two or three patrols should exist. There is more work to be done to rebuild your troop and it is not all on your shoulders. Delegate.

any advice? Junior Leader Training and Patrol Method. Your SM should be helping you with this.  Compare your gymnastics team leadership and teamwork with what exists with your troop.

Edited by RememberSchiff
14 hours ago, TroopSPL1 said:

... I was told at the end of my 6 month term that since no one else wants my position I either do it again during the school year or we don't have an SPL and we are disbanding. ...

Scouting units should scale up and down depending on resources and interest.  No no youth scouts want to be leaders?  19 inactive scouts and 7 active scouts?  Sounds like the structured program is not the best.  Perhaps there is something wrong there.   ... Fine.  ... For now, the troop adult leaders should scale back to focus on providing an active fun program.  Camp outs.  Activities.  Fellowship.  etc, etc, etc.   Troop should not worry about a structured program that develops youth leadership (for now).  Plus IMHO, the best lessons for youth leadership happen naturally thru the troop being active.  Helping each other set up tents.  Naturally by cooking meals.  ... As soon as scouts show interest, adults continually step back into the shadows and let the scouts naturally lead scouts.  It's a dance.  

To the SPL:  My advice is the same to you as to a seasoned adult volunteer.   Don't be a victim.  Don't sacrifice yourself to save a unit.  You have a life.  You have choices to make where you want to spend your time.  If it's in scouting, that's your choice.  ...   It is 100% okay to step back.  ... In fact, I think it's a good idea for you.  ...  If I was your parent and saw you have a job, I'd be very proud.  Fewer youth work to earn their own way these days.  ... In high school?  I'd expect you to need to scale back.  ...  Keep your health.  Keep your sanity.   Celebrate life and the journey you are on.

• Upvote 1