Since this is a subject that I will deal with sometime this year, to those who have done this with the bears, what type info/ instructions did you give the boys to use?

Did all the boys get the card at same time, or did couple here or there? Just wondering how to instruct, od do it correctly thanks

Some hands-on training, with handouts, was provided by the district to den leaders. My son's den leader then did a training session with several parents. When the den met to work on the requirements, each trained parent had about 3 Scouts (along with a supervising parent for each Scout) to work with hands on.

The district handout had detailed instruction for carving a bear from a bar of soap - much more helpful than the diagram in the bear handbook.

All the boys got their cards around the same time.

There are many "correct" ways to do it - what works for some dens may not work for you.

(If you send me a PM, I'll see if I can find a copy of the handout to send to you.)

I used a combination of what was in the bear book, online at BSA.org and what I raad here.

Believe it or not, the Bear book works pretty well( for my son anyways) because it covers the basics, without talking "Over" the bears heads.

The only thing we(my son and I) did different was we didn't carve the bear. It was just an example anyways. My son opted to carve a tank, an arrowhead , ans a Camaro-ish looking thingy! LOL!

Oh yeah, one of the reasons I did it with my son is because our den wasn't going to do it. Turns out too many parents were too worried it was way to dangerous!

At least that's what they said beforew putting their son in the car, taking off without checking to see if seatbelts were secure and running the stop sign as they pulled into rush hour traffic! LOL!

With 25 boys in a den, I wouldn't do "Shavings and Chips" during a den meeting, with only 3 adults, either. Especially since it is only an optional requirement.

When I did it with my son's den (8 Scouts), we took 2 meetings. The first meeting we used mock-up poster board knives (with a brad so they could be opened and closed), went thru all of the safety rules, and earned the Whittling Chip card. A copy of the safety rules went home with each Scout, along with a permission slip. The second meeting, we had one-on-one with Scout and parent. The Scouts all brought their own pocket knife (most had gotten them as a popcorn incentive that year knowing we were going to be doing this). We went over the rules and techniques again, with each Scout demonstrating with his own knife. Then, with help from their parent, the boys worked on a carving or two of their choice.

We used soap, but I have also seen it done using a chunk of balsa wood, or florist's foam.

If you are uncomfortable teaching Cubs sharp tool use, here are some suggestions:

1) Check with the Training folks in your Dustrict. Part of the Scouter Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills training (IOLS) includes "Woods Tools", and They can recommend someone who might come and do a Whittlin' Chip class for your boys. I "ga-ron-tea" the boys will enjoy a 'guest Scouter'.

2) Check with your local Scout Troop. They might have a Totin' Chip instructor who could do a Whittlin' Chip for you.

3) There are many threads here-in about the W/C and T/C. Do a search and have fun.

4) Here is a site that is a real codification of what ends up being a true local responsibility:

http://www.cubpack178.com/documents/whittling_chip_prog.pdf

Just about all inclusive...

5) I will try a PM to you with the program we use here...

when I was working with my son's den as a bear, most of the boys were not ready in my book to have knives in their little hands. So I sent out info to all the parents on what to work on with their son and then he could demonstrate his skill to me when he had it down in order to get his whittlin' chip. A couple completed it as a Bear but most didn't complete it until they were in Webelos.

IMO having them all working at the same time in a den setting which sometimes means a room too small for each to have a safety circle just isn't safe - I don't have enough eyes or hands to deal with it. And I think the boys that worked on it at home with mom, dad, grandpa, etc actually came out with a better understanding and better skills than had we all just done it at once

there is a huge difference between "the boys got their cards" and the boy has the skills to actual handle and manage a knife.

I use the craft stick knife and sanding blocks. They must first sharpen the knife, which is one of the most important skill, then carve their soap. The beauty of the craft stick is if they start forcing the knife they will break the blade, even in soap.

from this method they will learn

1. to sharpen a knife

2. Let the blade do the work

3. Learn the feel of a blade getting dull

4. Patience

I really dislike the plastic knife with soap or butter knife with soap. Other than just doing the project what did they learn?????(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

In the past, I have followed all guidance provided in the Bear Handbook. I then sprinkled in a large amount of safety and then a little more safety, and topped off the entire topic with SAFETY.

I also had a large wooden pocket knife that I used to demonstrate. It was about 18 inches long and 6 inches wide. It had the typical blades and tools on a traditional 'scout' knife, not a SWISS army knife. The kids loved that thing. I wish I could find another one.

I have not incorporated the EDGE model into the training process, but it would only take a minute to merge the teachings into the EDGE. Now that I write it, it would actually be pretty good to use EDGE for the whittlin' chit.