If everybody grew up a scout

I don't know why I just thought of this, but what if everybody grew up a scout, and encompassed those values in every day life? How awesome would that be?

And here's why I thought of it: I am a Sr field supervisor/ quality control/ new employee trainer/ custom garage door maker. I have worked at my company for 15 years. I have seen and heard almost every excuse as to why somebody called in sick, didn't call in at all or tried to explain shoddy work.

Three of my all time favorites were:

1) Employee calls in ( Monday morning)and says he has bird flu. He has had it all weekend, but will probably come in tomorrow.

2) Same employee calls in( Monday morning) and says He will not be making it as he caught the human version of Parvo from his dog. He is taking herbal medicine and will be in on Weds....maybe!

3) Employee ( different one this time) calls in ( Monday again) and says he will be out three days because his grandmother died. Story sounds kinda familiar. Office resource director checks files. Turns out that particular employee's two grandmothers have collectively died 9 times between the two of them in the course of 14 years.

So, if everybosdy grew up with scoutings values, this would not happen.

Of course, life might not be as interesting sometimes! LOL!

Everyone would spend there spare time on internet message boards splitting hairs on the finer points of G2SS and YPG :p

I understand your reasoning (especially when dealing with your trouble employees), but I'm glad not everyone grew up a scout. Because, then scouts wouldn't be special. They wouldn't hold a place of honor in society (yes we do, even if its one that gets poked fun at "you're such a Boy Scout").

As my 9y/o bear so correctly put it after coming home from a school day in which his well meaning, but misguided teacher told him "everyone's a winner", after a class game... He stated, "Dad, if everyone is a winner and everyone is special, then doesn't that mean that nobody is special?, they're just all the same?"

BINGO! son... in 3rd grade everyone's a winner...

In real life - they keep score whether you want to belive it or not.

- Dutch oven companies would outsell microwave manufacturers by huge margins.

- There would be no need for Velcro on kids' shoes, because even toddlers would know how to tie knots.

- TSA would let pocketknives be carried on airplanes because everyone would have them, and the hassle of mailing all those knives back home would be too much.

- First-aid-kit vending machines would be just as popular as soda machines.

- School uniforms would be the national norm, with a certain familiar color scheme.

The problem is this with this thought

If would exclude girls, gays, and atheists promoting bigotry, sexism, religious intolerance, and homophobia.

Next, it would exclude liberals, and progressives.

Lastly, it would be a rich source of new converts for the Mormon church. The net effect of a major growth within Mormonism would see the break down of society, as Mormonism does not tolerate a pluralistic society with it's skeptical thinkers, and free spirits.

"V". The problem with your comment, from my perspective, is that you have completely ignored the intent. In other words, the basic concept of the Oath and Law, with no one pushing their "agendas". The real shame is that this is still the main thrust of almost any unit, to try to instill these basic concepts, while having fun. All these other distractions are not the focus for most of us, only annoyance in that they take so much away from the best we have to offer. Please consider keeping these kind of comments on the Politics forum. Thank you.

I think it was the hope of the founder of Scouting that the movement would be a catalyst for societal change not just in England or the States, but throughout the world.

I happen to believe that in many ways the BSA has been a focused force for good in America the last 100 years. And if each of us did not think that the Scout Oath and Law were beneficial to society we wouldn't be posting on this forum or spending our time and money with this organization. Really, our only long-term, and hoped for payoff for working in Scouting is to see boys become mentally and physically fit men of good character and responsible citizenship. And we can have a ton of fun along the way!