Boy Scout finds $2,000, gives it back

Boy Scout finds $2,000, gives it back

Posted: Today at 8:10 a.m.

Updated: Today at 9:41 a.m.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6627837/

GREENSBORO, N.C. An 11-year-old North Carolina boy has found and returned a stolen purse with nearly $2,000 inside.

The News & Record of Greensboro reports Wednesday that Edward Myers and his siblings were helping neighbors plant trees in a Greensboro park when he spotted a purse on the creek bank.

The Boy Scout and his mother called the police, and the purse's owner showed up to collect.

The owner told police her car was broken into on Thanksgiving. Police say the thief took $30 out of the main billfold but missed $1,900 in another compartment before flinging the purse into the creek.

The owner rewarded Edward with one of the $100 bills. He gave $40 of it to his mother and spent the other $60 on a Carolina Panthers jersey.

---

Information from: News & Record

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Here's one scout that understands honesty

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good job by that boy.

My son as turned in a wallet at school this year...the Asst. Principal called to thank me for raising a good kid.

He's not even a Scout.

I wonder if this story would have made it to the air if the boy had not been a Scout.

Nice! Good for him. The $60, sadly, was wasted.;)

Back when I was working for the federal government, I received a performance bonus. The amount was a bit surprising: $985,985.00.

It was obviously a mistake but it showed up automatically in my bank account. Actually it was kind of scary.

I called my secretary immediately to tell her about it and she connected me to accounting. They told me I was mistaken and that I had received the correct bonus. So I faxed them a copy of my bank statement.

I can only surmise the scramble that happened when they received it. But they couldn't figure out how it happened or where it came from. My division chief confided to me that there was a good chance that if I hadn't said anything, it never would have been noticed. nice.

So then the problem was how to pay it back. I ended up writing a check for the amount to the US government. Made me a bit nervous too.

It had sat for nearly two months in an interest-bearing account. I was allowed to keep the interest, not that much really, about equal to one mother-in-law present. But the real upshot is....I have an incredible credit rating! My credit card limits suddenly went to the sky and I got really nice offers from banks. Commodore Vanderbilt said that money is power. He was right.

I felt relieved after unloading that back to its rightful owner. The boy can feel good having done the right thing even if it doesn't count as a good deed. It really was a good deed in his heart.

• 2 weeks later...