I agree with Oak. I think we can all be thankful that there are alert Scouters out there thinking about this stuff and asking questions! Kudos to Apache Bob for starting the discussion and for the mostly civil and thoughtful replies.

Evmori - This question came up at a Troop committee meeting. No one knew of anything in all the information put out by national that touched on YP and emails.

I did not mention telephone calls between Scouts and Scouters but that came up also.

I put the question out on the forum so I could get more feedback from experienced Scouters, which so far I have seen.

Let's face it - all we want to do is protect the Scout and also the Scouter. Who knows what the next thing that will come into being in the next 10 years that we cannot even imagine today.

Ed,

I think you may be over-reacting a bit to this question.

You questioned me "That is a huge stretch Oak Tree! What about phone calls?" even though I clearly stated "it's not a YP issue".

You questioned scoutldr "OK scoutldr I'll bite. If you feel this is a YP issue, what about phone calls?" even though he agreed with me (that it wasn't a YP issue, even though it could feel like one), and scoutldr's main point was that it was a reasonable question for Apache Bob to ask.

Are you saying that Apache Bob shouldn't even have asked the question?

Your last statement, "Is there a worry about e-mails & phone calls from adult leaders to Scouts in your unit? If so, you have bigger issues!" sounds to me exactly what some people must have said when the no one-on-one contact rule was first introduced. "If you need that rule, your unit has bigger problems."

Not one response here has said that this is a YP issue. But you seem very insistent on arguing that it is not a YP issue. Who are you arguing with? What statement do you disagree with?

Have you seen Mark Foley's text messages to his favorite Congressional page? Sometimes it makes you think that it might indeed be a good idea to know that multiple people will read anything you type.

If you feel uncomfortable, cc the parents.

If you feel uncomfortable, don't trim the email. Keep it intact.

What data streams will look like 10 years from now is anyones' guess. I don't text, but I use FB and email. Kids text, a lot!

Evmori - We had a new member of the committee (he just came up from Cubs) ask the question. He has been throught YP training and saw nothing about emails/telephone calls and wanted to know if there was any set way that it was covered in YP and that he missed it.

It was discussed in the meeting.

I just thought that I would get some more feedback from the forum.

As far as we know the unit doesn't have any problems of this nature.