I need a Why Real Men Dont Curse Speech

You either believe profanity is right, or it is wrong. There isn't any "context" to it. It is all still in front of God. Profane literally means "outside the temple." Profane words are associated with sexuality and filth - please show me any religion that would consider using profanity as being reverent. The Bible certainly speaks against it.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, Lord, my rock and my Redeemer (Psalm 19:14).

Dean, you aren't teaching them judgement - you are teaching them rationalization. They will take that lesson and use it in other areas, getting them into all kinds of trouble. You certainly aren't teaching them integrity. If they can't use that language in public, in front of their parents, or in front of their religious leader, then it is wrong. Teaching the boys that they can do things that are wrong when the adults aren't around is not teaching integrity.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Brent- but nowhere in my posts did I ever advocate for teaching the kids it is OK to use profane language. I am a realist, I know it exists. Do I like it, not really. Can I control it, probably not.

I'll I'm suggesting is that one chooses the battles wisely, especially if you're going to fall on your sword for it. You go to the mat on every little thing and soon you become the adult that "wigs out over every little thing... so just don't pay attention to him/her".

Again - I go back to my previous statement that there needs to be a point in the scout law regarding the self-righteous. Cast the 1st stone and all that good stuff....

I really find it disheartening that we continue to have these discussions. There is right and wrong, good and bad.

It seems that we want the best of both worlds; I dont like cussing but Ill do it at the right time/place Oh, and if you happen to believe differently, youre just self-righteous and judgmental.

The word integrity has been used in this thread. Im still involved in Scouting because it is one of the few places in our society (outside of the Church) where a boy (young man) can learn what personal integrity and responsibility is. Now, just because I believe thats important, Im labeled self-righteous and judgmental.

You want to quote scripture to prove that some of us are judgmental, well please remember the rest of the story. After the accusers left after being told he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone, Jesus asked where are your accusers. The woman said theyre gone and Jesus said, Neither do I condemn you: go, and sin no more. My point is that she was told to go, and sin no more. Jesus thought it important enough to tell her to stop doing what she was doing. Elsewhere in scripture we are admonished to instruct children and to call our brothers on wrong that they are doing. Jesus even gave specific instruction on how to handle it if they dont want to listen.

Just trying to give another point of view on this

ASM59

Real men do curse, among other things. But they shouldn't. So don't try to drum up a speach. It's really not so complicated:

If a youth says it, tell him "Don't cuss."

If an adult says it ask "Please don't cuss."

If you say it, apologize. (Even if those who hear it are adults who think nothing of it themselves.)

Some youth have dared to become my facebook friends. It's a real pain, but they get a message from me when an obsenity appears in their status. So far none of them have unfriended me because of it.

I completely agree with Dean!

There is never a black and white issue:

It's against the law of man AND God to kill. Period! Yet if you are attcked, isn't it called self defense instead of murder?

Stealing is wrong by both man's laws and the bible. Yet if you accidentally short the government or another person a dollar or say..just 50 cent, you don't mind it at all do you?

As religeous people, we know thet Bible states the Sabbath takes place on Saturday, yet " we always observed it on Sunday, so why change it?"

So now we are are directly changing and ignoring one of God's laws to suit our personal needs?

Black and white, we just broke the law!

If you want to qoute the bible, how about respecting all others, including their religions, love one another as the bible says, and do not pass judgement as God tells us to!

Now see, I'm not gonna give any direct qoutes because I know that the original bible was written by man. It was actually written down by man and over the years, as it was translated from one language to next from the original.

The people of Jesus' time spoke Arameic, the bible was wriiten in greek, and we qoute latin phrase left and right. Yet, if you try to translate the basic instructions in your VCR instruction manual - you will see that it's not a smooth transition as some words dont translate!

So my point?

There is not one single person who can claim or profess to follow a black and white lifestyle!

And yes!, situations dictate the proper means or action.

If you don't believe that, then plan on never defending yourself lest you be guilty of voiolence.

The thing to remember here is this: we all do things on occasion that we do not like or wish we wouldn;'t do. The plan is to try not to do it no more than possible and to tell our kids that it isn't something to be proud of.

And if any one person wants to say they never ever do anything wrong, then tell me why God said that all man is born with sin? You gonna agree with that or argue with God?

As for me..am I perfect? Not even close!

Do I curse? Unfortumneatly, yes. I try no too and I don't around my son...unless something slips when I drop something on my foot etc.

I tell my son it's nothing to be proud of.

I have been quit from smoking for a little over 2 months now. I had smoked for 20 years, in the past 5 or 6, I had to explain to my son why I smoked, EVEN THOUGH I KNEW IT WAS BAD. But at the very least, I didn't smoke inside my house, or when in a vehicle with my wife and son.

Nobody's perfect, but at least we can try to make an effort to be a good as we can be.

The best any parent can hope for is that their kid will try to be their best .

Now,if you can remeber it, the scout promise does not anywhere say "I promise I will be perfect without flaw".

Rather, it says "I promise to do my best,..."

We want our kids to DO THIER BEST!.

Now, how come we don't say that for the parents too?

Or is isn't that dependant on the situation.

Again, Dean has hit it right on! Do the best you can with what you got.

There is not a black and white world, unless you are trying to put yourself in a self rightious state of mind...which even God says you can not, are not able to do!

Now,how you word it is up to you, but basically, I'd tell the parents that are doing the cussing: "Hey look, we are trying to better our kids, not make them worse. Isn't our goal to improve upon society, not degrade it? Let's don't do anything ourselves that we'd get upset with if our kids did it too!"

Again, the wording is up to you, but the point should be the same: let's try to teach our kids to a higher standard than what even we live at.

A friend of mine's dad gave us talking to once.

Boys, profanity is the vocabulary of a weak mind. Now we all get weak minded on occasion, like when you smash your thumb with a hammer. Or maybe when you get really angry to blow off some steam. But in conversation profanity is not neccessary.

That brief talk has stuck with me for thirty odd years since it was given.

Yes, in some situations I find myself using profanity; then I think would I want my children speaking like this? The answer is no.

I think the argument that profanity is appropriate because of the setting, industry, people etc. is bogus. That's like saying "He did it so it's ok". If we strive for an ideal; that ideal should run through the entirety of our lives not just when we are scouting. I don't judge any of you for what you think is proper, just putting out there how I feel about it.

Found on a respected internet web site:

Profanity in the classroom is a growing and disturbing trend. Understanding it can help teachers manage it. What part does cursing play in our lives? Is it a sign of widening disrespect? Underdeveloped vocabulary? Or is there something more to it?

Experimental-psychology studies have traditionally ignored cursing, a morals-driven decision to marginalize taboos. Looking to dictionaries for curse words, we find theyre external to language; theyre slang.

Recent studies in the UK suggest that cursing might play a bigger part in language than we realized. Cursing may be actually good for us.

Researchers from Keele University discovered that cursing taps into emotional brain centers and appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language production occurs in the left cerebral hemisphere. Their research showed one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists: to relieve pain.

The study asked subjects to submerge their hands in freezing water for as long as they could. Men who cursed while taking part kept their hands in the water for an average of 190 seconds. Those who didnt swear managed only 140 seconds.

The link between cursing and pain control isnt clear, but the effects are both physical and emotional. The findings could lead to discovering more about the history and origin of cursing (but we dont recommend trying this in science class).

Details:

http://keeleuniversitypressoffice.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/swearing/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't have a speech but what I did with my own kids was tell them that cursing is a sign of a poor vocabulary and challenge them to find another way to express themselves, preferably with large, multi-syllabic words they did not know before.

You could make it a contest or the subject of a skit. Ask the boys to come up with different ways to say the bad words and make a skit about it without using the bad words.