Now, the Committee would be asking about helmets, gloves, and safety lines...

Each time I've gone to PTC, movie night is "Follow Me Boys." There wasn't 2 deep leadership, uniforms were often catch as catch can, sometimes the EDGE was the edge of a nuckle sandwich, and Lord knows the Buddy System didn't always happen.

Even so, the kids came out pretty well on the backside.

Yes, it's idealized, but maybe we do have this overly complicated.

When I was a scout in the 60's the SM would more often than not stop fights and arguments by grabbing both of us by the neck and slamming us toghether.

Teachers were allowed to use their shoe on our backside. Nuns could use a metal ruler.

We did many stupid things, like not wear seat belts or bike helmets. We were taught how to respect firearms and my grandpa's gun cabinet was never locked. If we ever touched one he would smack us. We carried a pocket knife because it was a tool. My 22 hung in my room and the box of cartridges was right next to it. But if I took it out of the house without my dad he would here about it and ..........

Cars had metal dashboards

Yet we turned out OK.

Now the rules favor tolerance and calls home to parents who don't care. Tools are now weapons and quite often more injuries occur because I have two boys who are not allowed to camp unless a parent accompany them.

However, even BP found that teenagers in 1907 had issues to deal with. So for the most part kids have changed, but stayed the same.

Rules are only used to promote and enforce intolerance. By the time one has to resort to rules/by-laws, etc., they are already in deep do-do. Like Mafaking, me and the boys would be figuring out how to get on the roof other than the window. It's called leadership problem solving. :)

Stosh