Scouters giving meds to Scouts

We could get into a lot of different "Gray Areas" with this.

Why wouldn't we? As we have in the past.

I have read what the "Good Book" states and our good Pal Twocubdad was kind enough to paste for us.

My take on all of this.

1/ I'm not the kids parent. If they are OK with allowing their child to be responsible for taking his own meds. I'm happy to go along with that.

I do have a couple of issues about where the meds are kept. As I really don't want any nitwit doing anything silly with pills that he knows nothing about.

2/ I'm not happy to take on the responsibility of dispensing the meds. I'm happy to take on the responsibility of storing them safely. If a parent wants to give me the meds that their son is taking in the containers that they came in clearly marked with the Lads name in something like a zip-lock bag with the Lads name on. I'm happy to look after it and keep it safe. But it is up to the Lad to come and see me when he wants to take his meds, then I will pass him the zip-lock bag and he takes what he has to take.

While in the real world, I would remind him that he needs to come and see me. I'm unwilling to be responsible for him taking what he is supposed to take when he is supposed to take it. If a parent feels that their son can't be trusted to do this? Then they need to come with the boy or sad to say not send him.

3/ Whatever rules a Camp (Council facility) might have in place are between the parent, the camper and Camp. Parents can if they want refuse to follow these rules and Camps can deal with this as they see fit.

As a volunteer leader I really don't want to get involved with any of this.

4/If for any reason and I don't care what the reason is! A child is unmanageable he needs to go home.

The Troop Committee can decide what happens next.

My role as a Leader is provide a program, if a Scouts behavior prevents me from doing this? He needs to be someplace else.

I am of course sympathetic and feel sorry for the Lad, but I don't have the know how or the training to be able to deal with every situation.

Eamonn

Gosh, I am so thankful I've found this forum.

A particular shout out to Scoutldr, Mistysmere, Mike F and Twocubdad.

I see the point about differentiating between 'medicated kids' and 'problem kids'. Thank all of you who gave me positive feedback to take to committee. I guess this is what this 'virtual roundtable' is supposed to be about, eh?

(Oh, and to 'Scoutldr' the handle 'spitfidget' has nothing to do with scouts and all to do with a certain breed of sports cars, if you know what I am talking about!)

Yours in Scouting (and please teach me the way)

Spitfidgetx

spitfidgetx... just getting back from our August Troop campout and reading over this discussion with my morning coffee...

I second the advice so far with regard to separating kids on meds and behavior.

Some kids apparently need medications in their daily lives and need to continue to take the meds on Scout outings. We have two like that, and one ASM who confers with the parents as to what when and then gives the kids their meds. He did this a summer camp, and then again on this week-ends camping trip. This system seems to work fine for us. Neither of these kids are behavioral problems.

Behavior applies to everyone, medicated or not. If a Scout does something that is outside the Scout Law, then he is called on it. Most of the time a talk with the PL or SPL will take care of the problem. If not, an immediate Scoutmasters conference happens with a very clear discussion on the consequences of his actions. If he continues to behave in a way that is clearly outside of the Scout Law, he is suspended from Troop outings and activities for a period of time.

If he is using a knife in a way that is inconsistent with Tote-n-Chip rules, then he looses his Tote-n-Chip and is not allow to carry or use a knife until he goes through the full course again.

If the Scout or his parental-like units have a problem with the need to follow the Scout Law on all Troop activities, then they can find another Troop.

In reading over your original post, I do not see the linkage between giving some kids meds, getting yelled at by a parental-like unit, and Scouts assaulting each other. This seems like three separate issues:

1) If the Scouts were acting up significantly, explain to them what they did wrong and then suspend them from the next activity. The suspension is followed by a Scoutmasters conference to discuss how to behave within the Scout Law.

2) As to the verbal attack by a Scout guardian... that's way out of line. That kind of behavior is well outside of the Scout Law. If this person has a huge problem with the way things are done in your Troop, let him know there are other Troops out there. You can also suspend them too, and let 'em know they are no longer welcome at Troop activities until they too can follow the Scout Law.

3) Medications are a separate issue as discussed above... either give 'em out or don't.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out. Once you let the Scout Law dictate behavior, you are simply the messenger for a higher authority.