Need some help. We have a scout who cannot handle the stress of sitting on a Board of Review. At his Tenderfoot BOR he stumbled on the Oath and any confidence he had went out the window. After drying some eyes and a pep talk he was fine for a while but started to lose it again. The board got him through it but it was a struggle. Second class was more of the same, stumble on some questions and the stress factor set in again, a bit of a pep talk with one committee member and he was fine. Last night the same results as far as the stress coming through. The board make up is the same as the first two, adult leaders he has known through Cubs. Advancement chair suspended the board for time (it was time for the meeting to close) and then I and the board met and discussed the scout. We all realize a BOR is not pass/fail but an interview to gain feedback from our scouts on the program we have. Also for the scout to express his views and interact with adults. We see the BOR as an opportunity to teach our scouts about interviewing for a job when they get older as well. (Great life skill) At SM conferences this scout is fine, and normally a good kid with high self esteem and very confident in all he does.

My question is this "How have you folks gotten through something like this?" This a first for me and I need your help and input.

Thanks

Bryan

You say he's fine at speaking with the SM in a conference, presumably 1-on-1. How does he do in front of a group of his peers - say, leading the Oath or Law, or teaching a skill? Some people have a real tough time with "public speaking," even if it's in front of a small group of people they already know, to the point of near-nervous breakdowns.

I'd suggest having another SM conference - not a formal thing, just a friendly chat - and have the SM gently broach the subject of what the Scout feels at the BORs. Maybe there's something going on that he'll tell the SM and not the other adults about?

Speaking as one who spent a year in scouts and never got passed the the Scout Master conference for "Scout" I understand the boys anxieties. One way to help the boy is make the BOR environment less "formal" Sit in a circle with him and not put him in front a row of adults. Try just talking to him first before asking him to recite the oath and law. Also remember, he does not "Need" to recite either for the board (retesting?) I know our Troop also asks the boys to recite both but completion is not required. Sometimes it is just used to get the conversation started. Also remember that the body language of the board can also add to his stress.

Just some thoughts.

I know the three on one side and the scout on the other is pretty standard around here. Same with you? Would you be willing to change the physical layout and all of you sit at a table to make it feel more intimate and informal? Maybe he'd do better having a board outside, if you have a space like that. How are BORs presented to the boys? Do they know it's a feedback session?

This could just be old fashioned performance anxiety.

There was a great article in Scouting Magazine last year regarding BOR's. Check it out. I believe that if more people used a b.o.r. as a way to get to know the boy and let him open up, there would be less stress.

I love doing BOR's because I enjoy talking to the boy about what he is doing outside of scouts. I like to hear about thier schooling and their favorite activities such as sports or academics.

After 5 or 10 minutes of talking about him then I like to ask what he likes or dislikes about scouts, the troop, or other boys and what would he do to change anything if needed. They don't always open up but it so nice to see a boy relax once he knows you are not going to bust is chops and ask him a bunch of questions about his rank requirements.

I suggest you taylor your BOR to put this boy at ease. I think if you work with him and his fears, he will learn to trust you and cherrish the times you spend with him letting him talk about himself.

Good luck.

Some scouts are just more outgoing than others. Help the scout by explaining that the process has not changed since he went for his first BOR. A 1 on 1 by a senior scout may help the younger scout feel more at ease .

Speaking of senior scouts, nothing says that the BOR has to be all adults. I know a number of troops that include a scout of at least 1 rank higher on BORs (e.g. a Star or Life scout on a BOR for 2d or 1st class; a 1st class scout for tenderfoot or a 2d class BOR). Its amazing how the nervous scout becomes more confident when a peer is in a position of responsibility along with 2 adults. The participating youth members feel they are truly in a leadership position of responsibility and are very good and knowing the scouts strengths and how to ask the correct questions assuming that the BORs they went through were meaningful.

On a related subject Any comments on the use of standing Eagle BORs at the Council and / or District level? I know that some councils have a standing Eagle Boards on the XX night of each month. You show up with or with out 1 or more adults to assist and any number of Eagle BORs are conducted. Some districts also follow this practice. Depending on the Council and/or district the unit can opt out and set up there own Eagle board with a Council/District representative in attendance. Does any one have any experience with these arrangements? Some like the standing boards since the take some of the load off of the local unit and provide an independent BOR who may or may not know the candidate. Some like the local unit BOR since the scout is more likely to ne within a comfort zone of adults but the local unit has more responsibility for the administration and control.

The scout who is under stress for his Tenderfoot, 2d Class or 1st Class BOR at the Troop level probably would have a melt down with the standing BOR concept.

This is a border line special needs case. Funny in a post earlier this week I thought the unit's committee needed to tighten it up a little. Here I think the opposite is needed.

If the scout handles one-on-ones well then use one on ones three times. Following youth protection guidelines of course.

Pull him aside and have the scout sit next to one committee member, hold a five-ten minute discussion. Latter have another committee member walk and talk to the scout. Just get the whole situation to relax. Its just a fuzzy feel good about the program talk anyway.

How is his public speaking skills for the communication badge and other leadership responsibilites for addressing groups?

I don't agree Mafaking. This sounds like nothing more than a kid who doesn't do well under pressure. Not an uncommon thing. But it can be overcome.

Someone suggested the SM have a chat with this lad. I think that is a great idea & maybe even have the SM run a mock BOR for the Scout to help him get over this!

Interesting

I recommend removing the threat and modifying the event to prevent upsetting the scout.

Ed recommends(these may be my words)working with the scout to be able to handle these events.

From here you just really need to know the boy as an individual. If you think he may benefit from mock board of reviews, separate SM conferences and the unit has the resources for this; that would be the better approach.

However, unit resources are not infinite and that's a lot for one scout. I would want to be pretty sure that the scout will respond to the BOR training before employing all these resources. You gotta know your Scout and your unit.

Agree with shortridge, Ed, and Mafaking...

1) SM talk to the Scout ... find out what scares him about 3 on 1.

2) Change the format. Sounds to me like this young man could use sitting around the picnic tables at the local park shelter, vice "The Trump Boardroom."

3) We're talking TF and 2C here. Let's help the boy out ... Tell him you'll all share the Oath and Law. That way, he's sharing a common ethic.

Some great advice, thanks a bunch.

As for the SM having a chat that will definitely happen. As the SM, I just never had this occur more than once to any scout. My SM conferences are always informal in approach. I usually cover what they are doing at school, work or church. What other interests they might have such as hunting or sports. How school is going and their grades (big thing with me). I also ask what leadership positions they would like to do. If the boy has an area of interest I ask about it as well.

Our boards are usually 3 or 4 committee members and sometimes one of the other parents so they see first hand what their son goes through. The board and scout all sit around a small square table. The questions are never a retest but open ended. What does it mean to you ... or What campout was the best you have been on and why... or Which MB was the easiest or hardest... How are things in the Patrol or Troop for the scout etc... What are your plans for next your rank or after High school?

The boys know going in that it is not a grilling or retest and the board does too. This particular board consisted of his former Den leader from Tigers through Webelos II, our CC who he has known since he was a cub and our Advancement Chair who has tended a few of his cuts on outings. This scout is outgoing, self confident around his peers and adults. I think it is an anxiety issue with the fear of failure, or public speaking to adults.

shortridge, I like the idea of asking about his feelings at a BOR. Thanks

ed, I am going to put together a mock BOR for this scout of ASMs and see how he does when he knows it is practice.

Thanks to all who have responded. This site makes being a leader so much easier.

Didn't have this problem as a CPO in Uncle Sams canoe club.

YIS

Bryan

This isn't the Spanish Inquisition. Don't do a mock BOR!!!

Get the formality out of the BOR for this kid at this point. He does not need that. Get him someplace where the adults are not a threat, and make it a convesation, not an Inquisition. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)