Swimming requirements done like PORs

I wonder what we'd think about a requirement that said "Participate in a program that does swimming for four months." If yeh think about it, a lad who truly is a regular participant for that long should improve in his swimming, eh? In da ARC or YMCA sequences, I think that number of weekly lessons should jump a boy a step or two. Maybe from beginner to advanced beginner. If yeh do it a few times, maybe three sessions of 4-6 months, a boy should make it to swimmer. Just like in 3 sessions of 4-6 months, a lad might learn the skills and responsibility we expect of Eagle Scouts.

No doubt, then, some folks would argue that he doesn't have to participate in every swimming event, and yeh can't impose percentage requirements. So as long as you don't kick him out of swim lessons, at the end of da time period he should get his swimmer card, even though he only showed up twice and didn't learn a thing about swimmin'. Even though yeh gave him a swimmer's handbook that spelled out all da things that a swimmer should be able to do.

And if a lad is one who really struggles with swimming and needs longer to get good at it, well then that's the adults' fault and the boy should get his card anyways even if he can't swim. If the adults weren't gatekeeping twads, they'd be able to teach any boy to swim in the allotted time. That's what "the program" is designed to do.

Either way, if yeh don't think he deserves his swimmer card, then it's up to you to kick him out of swimming lessons before da lessons are done. And if yeh do, he doesn't have to repeat any part of da lesson that he didn't get, he just has to pick up with any swim lesson and finish the remaining time.

------

What is it that we want, eh? Do we want a lad who knows how to swim, or do we want a program that makes us adults feel good because we're givin' out a lot of swimmer cards? Do we think boys learn and grow at their own pace, or do we think they all get what they need in da exact same time period?

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Interesting analogy. And point well taken. Having earned my WSI at age 18 and more recently, BSA Lifeguard Counselor, I spent literally hundreds of hours in the pool under the watchful eye of people better at the skill than me before I was given my teaching credentials. More often than not, I went home tired, sore and bruised. Not only did I have to execute every stroke and rescue nearly perfectly, I also was judged on my teaching ability. Are we doing the same for the Scouters we charge with teaching Leadership?