Working with Deaf Kids/Parents

I mentioned in another post that we will have a deaf boy joining our pack next week. His father is also deaf (his mother is hearing and will come as an interpreter until we are up to speed). We are very excited to have him join us but are wondering if there are any good suggestions about camping, hiking, etc. that any of you good scouters can offer. He is a Webelo 1 and was actively recruited by four of our scouts who are learning ASL.

I had a deaf scout many years ago. Although he could use sign language he could also read lips. He could speak but not very clearly. He was quite the conversationist though. He did everything everyone else did. Did not treat him any differently than anyone else.

The only thing I needed to do differently was instead of staying put and speaking to scouts I had to move and get in front in order to get this kid's attention. At first I would forget this often but after a while it became natural.

I wonder if it would be helpful for him to carry an FRS radio that has a vibrating feature when you hit the page button on the matching radio.

Give you a way to alert him same as a shout or a whistle would the other scouts.

Both of my kids are severely to profoundly deaf. They both talk but can be difficult to understand at times. They both sign, too.

I would treat this boy the same as the other boys in the Troop. From your initial post, being deaf is the only problem this boy has so making any special accommodations for him are unnecessary.

When you talk to the group, make sure he is in the front & can see you lips. When you are talking to hem, always face him. If you need to get his attention, lightly touch him so as not to startle him.

My son earned his Eagle and loved Scouting. No special accommodations were made for him. We never had an interpreter along on camping trips. He did have an interpreter for his Eagle BOR.

One of my first Eagles was deaf. It doesn't take long for everyone to think of him as normal and treat him that way. You forget he is deaf until someone new in the troop meets him. Evmori has great advice as he always does. Your scout is just like all the boys with the same dreams, attitudes, boy problems and behaviors. In fact, our scout tried to used his deafness to his advantage. Its seems that sometimes he didn't hear the instructions, if you know what I mean.

The parents of our deaf scout were so proud that I did his Eagle Scoutmaster Confrence at his home so his parent could watch. I know that is unusual, but it was something special for them.

You won't need mom very long.

Barry

Yah, I think it's great that some of your boys are learnin' ASL. That can be really fun for boys if you encourage it... sort of like a secret patrol or troop signaling system. Boys love secret codes that only they are good at, eh! You can help it out by getting someone who's good at teachin' kids to perhaps do a class on the side.

Have mom come and talk to the scouters and the patrol leaders and give tips & tricks that she uses. That will help everyone feel at ease, and catch things that you might not have thought of.

Since the lad apparently has a lot of friends who recruited him and are workin' ASL, make them your partners. Be sure to tell them that part of their job is to relay verbal communication when the boy might not be looking. And to remind the adults and patrol leaders to do things like get in front so that he can see (because you will forget, and their reminders are really helpful).

Have some strategy in place for dealin' with behavior issues. One of the interestin' things about deaf boys is that they can shut you out pretty completely by closing their eyes. Hearing boys might stick their fingers in their ears and go "La la la la la!", but it just ain't anywhere near as effective. Check with the parents on how they deal with the occasional behavior issue and what to expect.

Last thing, be conscious about not addressin' all your troop communications to mom. That's an easy trap to fall in, so plan up front how you're goin' to go out of your way to include dad in communications. Adults might have a harder time adapting than the kids, so plan how you're goin' to make dad feel welcome on campouts with da other dads, etc.

I think you've got all the ingredients in place, eh? You'll find boys who understand a disability and how to help will be just great, and pretty soon what Eagledad says will be true. Nobody will really notice anymore.

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

It seems you have received a lot of great advice already. One thing I will add, is find out from the scout how he prefers you to get his attention. I don't know how common this is (Ed?) , but when I was working on summer camp staff one year we had a profoundly deaf camper who, after a couple of days, found it very annoying to constantly have people touching her. So, she asked us to tap the table or something along those lines so that she could feel the vibration instead. That worked out ok for a bit, but some kids took to POUNDING the table at every turn (in part because the girl sometimes seemed to ignore them otherwise), which also really got on the girl's nerves, understandably - kind of like someone shouting at you all the time. Unfortunately nobody there had any experience working with deaf children and, being summer camp (not scouts), her parents weren't there to help us find our way. It took a bit of an explosion of frustration on the girl's part for people to recognize that we needed to revisit the issue and try out some other approaches. I do think it probably also helped her better understand the need to communicate her own preferences to people who lacked her experience, as she had never been in a totally hearing environment without her parents to mediate before that. Things ended up ok, but we probably could have spared everyone some grief and provided her with a more enjoyable experience if we'd all communicated better to start with.

Good question Lisa. How to get their attention depends on where you are. If it's a group setting sometimes waiving you hand or pointing to them works. At a table, a tap hard enough to be felt but not hard enough to be annoying will work. If they have their back to you a gentle touch usually works.

Now if this deaf boy wears hearing aids, which both my kids do, calling their name might work. It really depends on how deaf they are & what their primary form of communication is.

Ed

1) Boys have a natural curiosity about mystery, secrecy, and all things beyond common comprehension, such as "secret" codes and languages. Consider purchasing a couple copies of Martin Sternberg's "American Sign Language Dictionary." These are VERY popular with Scouts because they soon discover that natural bodily functions are not censored :) As result our deaf and hearing Scouts became passionate researchers, giddy from signing the same jokes with minor variations over and over and over for hours and hours and hours under the noses of we clueless adults, silent except for laughter as they gleaned new signs from the dictionary.

Used copies cost less than $10 each, see:

http://tinyurl.com/djn7ny

2) At one time this universal boy fascination with codes was reflected in the BSA First Class Signalling requirement that could be earned with "Deaf Mute" Sign Language (ASL), Indian Sign Language, Morse code, or semaphore. Depending on Troop culture, some hearing Scouts prefer to learn a neutral signing system such as Indian Sign Language, which requires the deaf Scouts to start out on the same level.

See the Online Indian Sign Language Dictionary:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/native/sign/index.htm

Some of these activities can be used or adapted for Troop use and for Camporees.

A Indian Sign Language Troop Meeting can be found at:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/native/sign/vitalizing.htm

Sign Language Council Fire:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/native/sign/council_fire.htm

Silent Camp Weekend:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/native/sign/camp_ideas.htm

My favorite, the song "Taps" in Sign:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/native/sign/taps.htm

3) The BSA publishes a pamphlet with the Scout Law and Scout Oath in ASL. We used these at the opening of every Troop meeting, and then volunteered our services for opening and closing ceremonies at Camporees, Roundtables, OA, and other Council meetings.

4) Our deaf Scouts loved slap stick campfire skits, the more "violent" the better. We spent a few minutes at every meeting adding ASL to campfire skits as an interesting novelty at Camporees.

5) Carrying small pocket notebooks can help adults who are not a quick study at ASL to communicate with deaf Scouts.

Kudu

Make sure this boy uses ASL and not signed English. There is a big difference!

I just thought of something else. Deaf people tend to be very black & white. What I mean is they don't usually have a good sense of humor & usually take everything literally.(This message has been edited by evmori)

I used to work with deaf/mutes and there are a number of factors that need to be conveyed and most of these come from the deaf person themselves. Find out how they wish to be notified. I used to stomp on the floor to get their attention, but that doesn't work at a campsite, for example. Be patient and learn from them what they need. It's not a big deal if you show interest in them. View them as different, not deaf. I have focus problems with some of my boys and I gently hang on to their neckers so they focus directly on what I'm saying. It's just a little technique I use and it works. Sometimes stomping, rapping, touching all work, but in differing situations. Let the deaf person let you know what works best for them.

At least learn the ASL alphabet so one can cover the basics. Learn signs as they repeat back the sign for the word you just spelled. Paper and pencil works as well. Learn to adjust, they are doing it all the time, now it's your turn.

Remember these people think in pictures whereas the hearing think in sounds. When they count on their fingers, it's not because they are not as intelligent, it's just a means by which to visualize their thoughts. They just do things differently than you and I, but they are very good at what they do.

You will get brownie points for caring and being patient, both of which doesn't cost anyone anything. As far as their sense of humor is concerned, it's there just like anyone else. With my group of 5 deaf friends, I was the "outsider" that was the butt of most of their jokes because for once I was the one with the handicap. I loved every minute of my time with them.

Stosh

I, too, worked with deaf and hearing impaired kids. I only have one thing to add, since you have already gotten good information.

I hate to even have to bring this up, but you might want to learn a few of the common "naughty" words in sign language, so you'll know if the kids start using them. Kids will be kids, and if they think they can pull a fast one over the non-signing leaders, they just might do it.

Also, be sure you really know the signs that you end up using. Just like in any foreign language, it can sometimes be embarrassing if you use the wrong word. I know my students got a few laughs over my mistakes!

That's exactly why Lisa.

Don't lump deaf & mute together, Stosh. Both my kids are severely to profoundly deaf and they both speak. I know lots of deaf people who speak very well and lots that don't speak at all. I don't know any who are mute.