We had a great troop meeting last night that I wanted to share with everyone. Our troop is young with most boys under First Class. We have one Life Scout, a Senior in high school. Life Scouts Grandpa is a good friend of mine, and is a long time District volunteer. Life Scout transferred into our troop last year and I don't think Grandpa has ever worked directly with him in a troop.

I found out Grandpa is skilled at knots. He volunteered to come help the troop with knots. We took him up on the offer, but with a twist. We asked him to have his Life Scout grandson help with the demonstration. They both agreed and set upon working together on the presentation.

The meeting was outstanding. Besides learning knots the boys learned several other lessons as well. They learned that an older person and a younger person can work well on a project together. They saw a grandfather and grandson who obviously love and respect each other. They learned that an older person still has much to offer the community and that many older people enjoy being around young people.

But I think what touched me most was watching grandfather and grandson work together as a team. The young man and the old man, both with a love for Scouting, but who had never had a chance to share it together.

The simple lesson is that the boys learned knots last night. But there was so much more to be learned from that experience. Once again, I am convinced Scouting is the best program we can offer our boys!