I recently had one of my younger scouts approach me about becoming a Denchief for the Tiger Cubs. This scout just crossed over this past spring and he is a Tenderfoot. When he asked about taking on this position he had already completed the Denchief Essentials training on-line and showed me his certificate. I told the boy that The Cubmaster and Den Leader have to be consulted on this manner as well. He told me that he was asked to help at their den meetings by the DL already (This scouts mother is Webelos I DL. The Tigers and Web I meet the same night at the same place). After talking it over with the Cubmaster, we agreed that the boy has to attend Denchief training to get this position. Even though he agreed to the terms we set I am a little apprehensive. My question to my fellow scouters here on line is am I being over cautious that he is only 11 and hasn't held any leadership positions yet (He hasn't gotten his turn as New Scout PL)?

Any experiences with this area would be helpful.

Thanks

Bryan

I would applaud him for his drive to help the younger scouts in their path in scouting. But look over the organization table with the boy first. YOu will notice that there is no Den Chief for the Tigers. They have the Adult partners present. For Wolf, Bear, and Webelos dens they have den chiefs.

I would have the boy try his hand at New Scout Patrol PL first. or maybe something like quartermaster, or scribe. GIve him somethign as an introductory position and if next year he is still interested, have him then look into Den Chief training and helping out. I think that he is looking to get back to Cub Scouts too soon and that the boys that he just left may not see him as a leader when he shows up. GIve him a little time and let the Cubs get some new blood in there.

Okay, let see... DC is supposed to be FC, seems there's a problem there, no DC's for Tigers, seems to be a problem there as well. So the boy technically should not be a DC. Okay. Now, what should one do? Send him off to be a PL?, QM? something else? Why? Why not send him back to Tigers to try out being a DC. There's no reason for him to be there except to help out and gain some unofficial experience as a DC. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If one has a boy excited about something, every ounce of effort should be made in assisting him with his goals in scouting. This kid may follow those Tigers all the way through and be their TG when they cross over into Scouts. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Stosh

I agree with Stosh. The Scout approached you about being a Den Chief, that shows interest. He completed the online training. That shows initiative. He agreed to take the Den Chief training course before beginning the position. What more could you ask? I wish all of our Scouts were so driven to serve the Cubs. I wouldn't recommend him as a Den Chief for a Webelos Den, but see nothing wrong with him helping out the Tiger Den and learning from the experience - even if in an unofficial Den Chief capacity. I bet those little guys would love to have a real Boy Scout help them play a game or work on a craft project, etc.

Wouldn't it be marvelous if he followed that Den as their Den Chief all the way through to crossover to Boy Scouts?

My older son (now almost 22) was a Den Chief for one Webelos Den for two years and then another for a year. He says it was the best POR he had. In fact, he holds his Den Chief Service Award in higher regard than his Eagle. His reasoning for this? He sees earning Eagle as mostly and individual pursuit - Den Chief required service to others.

It is a special moment for him when he hears that one of his former Cubs has earned his Eagle and he is always invited to their Court of Honor. In fact, he was delighted to serve on the Eagle BOR of several of his former Cubs.

As for being a FC the scout is close to 2nd class (Lacking First aid) and is Close to 1st class (lacking First aid and some Cooking). I was unaware of Tigers not having DC's. I just don't want to dampen his enthusiasm. By the time the DC training is going to take place in our area he should be 1st Class. I think letting him help in an "Unofficial capacity" would be alright so long as the DL and parents are okay with it.

There are two resources but only one is needed to properly train a DC. The first resource is the on-line FAST-TRACK training. This brief over view does not replace the actual DC training program. The second is the actual DC training program #34450 (ISBN 0-8395-4450-2)one can order through their council. This booklet is NOT "an old program that is no longer being used" because I have a copy of it right next to me and it shows a 2008 printing. It's a 22 page booklet that is the curriculum for a 3-hour 40-minute program.

The on-line FAST-TRACK training is just a brief over-view of what the boy will receive in greater depth in the actual training.

Stosh

I apologize for seeming like I am trying to shoot down this young scouts motivation. I just know that there are many here who jump at the chance to point out certain rules. I thought that I would try to give the information a lil easy.

Do I see a problem with him helping as a Tiger. The way that I always understood Tiger Cubs, was the time that they had to spend with their adult partner. But if he wants to be there as a second set of hands then I guess that would be OK.

If he is close to becoming 1C, then I guess he is about ready. I would see if he wanted to help out with a Wolf Den if there is one available, then he can start on his path to helping mold new young scouts. Maybe when he is helping out, he can try to recruit other new DC's.

Encourage the young lad.

The more help you can get, the better, so let him be a DC. It gives him an outlet for his enthusiasm, allows him to be an example to the TCs, and provides him with a chance to get a little leadership experience. Seems to me a win-win situation for all.

HOWEVER if he has a history of behavior problems, you may want him to mature a little. BUT it sounds as if he is one motivated Scout :)

As for the First Class rule and being new to scouts, I was a DC as a Tenderfoot. Got interested when they needed Scouts to help with day camp and I volunteered. I did a good enough job that I was asked to be a DC for my old pack. great time and experience.

Been away at Camporee this weekend.

Den Chief is a helper for any DL. The Adult Partner is to be there with their TC, but the TC DL can still make use of a good DC. What a good example for BOTH the Tc and their APs!

Have the nascent DC take the online training ( www.olc.scouting.org ), AND the DL also should do it so they have some idea what the DC can do for them. Make sure the DC takes the in person training when it is offered (and encourage the District Training Committee to offer it) .

Any Scout with the right attitude and spirit can be a good DC, from Scout to Eagle. Remind them that they are no longer FOLLOWING the example, they will BE the example.

Good Scouting!

Although many of the Pack Organization charts don't show them, it seems that it's O.K. for Tiger Dens to have Den chiefs.

I just taught the new CS leader training syllabus this weekend, and taught the Tiger Leader section. The syllabus specifically talks about Den Chiefs for Tiger Dens.

Good for him!!

It is fun to watch the young Den Chief grow, and mature, in his leadership abilities, right along side his young charges.

Make sure the Den Leader knows he is part of the Den's leadership team, not just a bigger Cub Scout.