Moral and value based leadership.

I really don't want to rehash the Paintball / Laser Tag debate or dive into what the Guide to anything might say about anything.

I do feel that as youth leaders and as just people who are thing to to do their best to do what they think is right, we are often faced with doing what we think is right, just because we think it is the right thing to do.

How far we take this? Can at times be a real dilemma.

Do we not sell Christmas Trees as a fund raiser, because it might be seen as not helping the planet?

Do we not sell magazine subscriptions because Playboy Magazine is on the list?

Do we really think a game where the goal is to aim a weapon and shoot someone, even if no real harm is done, is what we should be doing?

Even if the youth have lots of fun doing it?

Do we need a rule that tells us attending a meeting where youth are present stinking of booze is just not the thing to do?

I'll admit that I have at times broken rules or not followed some guide in order to do what at that time seemed to be in the best interests of the person or group I was serving.

Did I know I was breaking a rule?

You bet!! Still I went ahead anyway.

Why?

Not because I thought I was above the rule, but because I at that time thought it was the best thing to do.

I'm not a great lover of lots of rules and that sort of thing.

I get annoyed when people try to bury me in rules and I find myself looking for loop-holes. As my way of getting back at them.

I know this is just plain wrong and is not the example I should set for the youth and adults who I'm expected to be leading. But still I try and find ways to justify it.

Maybe it's the Irish in me?

Eamonn.

"If the colonists had insisted on following all the rules all the time, we'd still be taking highly taxed afternoon tea and speaking British!"

For the love of Pete, please tell me you're being ironic.

Chug,

I think that scoutldr was just playfully pulling my leg.

Having lived on this side of the pond for almost 25 years, I have got used to taking the blame for anything and everything that England ever might have done wrong.

None of it is real, in fact it is all done in good fun.

A life time ago I used to teach English History at the secondary school level.

It wasn't until I moved over here to the USA that I came to realize that I knew so little about American History.

Where I now live is an area rich is early American History, many of the places and people who are outstanding in American history are people and places that I never heard about or read about.

Just down the road from where you live, we know that in In late August 55 BC, 12,000 Roman soldiers landed.

In AD449 the Viking Hengist actually landed near Ramsgate at Pegwell Bay.

The history in the area where I live really doesn't start until about 1753.

We have teapots older than that!!

Eamonn.