Welcome to the forums! Your just on the begining rung of scouting at tiger.. They are wonderful at that age, but watching them grow and learn and become more independent as their skills grow is a wonderful process.

Wishing you a long and wonderful scouting career.

I a Tiger Cub Den in each of two different packs a couple of years ago. It was a great experience.

The best part was having boys who could be terrifically interested in almost ANYTHING. For about five minutes.

You needed a program with constant variety.

This summer will be my thirds year of doing our district Tiger Twilight Camp as part of out daycamp, and I'll be leading Tiger Cub Den Leader training at our June Roundtable.

What are your plans for next year?

I'd like to continue on with the Wolves.I need to recruit two more leaders tho. Most likely I will have to put more time into a paying job! We recruit scouts from the public school where we meet, and there is no way I can handle a larger group of young boys without reliable support. I love their energy and enthusiasm,but I am not a master at reigning it in.I'm hoping our group will want to stick with scouting.Being Leader came to me by default...nobodY was stepping up,being last person at the meeting,a Webelos Leader just stuck the app. in my hands. And there you have it. We are so lucky to be in the DC area and there is never a shortage of things to do,plus an abundance of creeks and parks.It's hard to think about next year. I'm just trying to get through this year and keep them interested.We're working on Sports and Academics now,so they can get some Belt Loops. That will help them to work towards pins, also we will work on the No Trace patch.Now that spring is coming we'll be outside as much as possible.

Congratulations. I too love being a DL. I'm in the NCAC also and can highly recommend the training they offer. I've been to BALOO, University of Scouting, and BALOO this year and got a lot out of it. I only wished they offered it earlier in the year so I could have started the school year with all the great ideas I learned at training.

It's common for dens to get larger thanj they should because additional Den Leaders don't step up.

I've thought it woulf be interesting to have a Den Leader who designed the program for the week and who then delegated the presentation of that program to two or more Assistant Den Leaders.

It takes more skill to design the program than to execute it. You could even rotate the presentation to different parents until you find the right person to be Assistant Den Leader.

And after a few weeks of being ADL you could promote the ADL to DL and they could design their own program.

I've never done this though.... not yet.

Yes, I have a couple involved right now who both work the NPS.They have been a terrific resource, and I'm hoping to get at least one of them registered.My approach this year was to give each parent a month and a requirement and the books and say here, you do it this month. I've been the steady communication person and person to keep track of what needed to be done, and the "leader"who reports to the Cubmaster,drags around the flag and scout box etc., but it has really been an all out joint effort. I figured it might help people dig into the program a bit more and maYbe come to be more involved with scouting.Like I said, I did not anticipate being the den leader when we started. The other people are more qualified, computer saavy,younger! Also, I am not good at being a disciplinarian.I am SO happy we will be meeting outside as much as possible. I try to give the boys things to do that they can actually DO, and have a good chunk of time for a strenuous physical activity...guess what ..nothing wears them out!It seems that after a full day of school and daycare they have HAD it with listening to adults, and I can't say as I blame them.It's a different world than the one I grew up in, where we had tons of time space and freedom to just run around and explore on our own.That's the best part of being a kid! Now I guess you'd say we are in the 'big city' ,with kids who are cooped up all day long.It's hard on them. I just hope to be able to help deliver a program that allows them to at least run and breath some fresh air, and spark some curiosity outside of "video games" ,you know, go check out some real rocks instead of virtual ones. i love it so far.All your comments have been extremely helpful.

Congratulations!

I did 2 terms of Tiger Leaders. They are so cute and easily impressed. ( I did get boos and "your boring".) For Tigers you need a lot of short different material 5-8 minutes each. Play 2-3 games a night. Balloon stomp was popular plus Indian wrestling. Anything that is something that is a little too boyish to be played in school these days. Let them yell every once in a while. They like some crafts but really need help. Bring in a real live boy scout to teach demonstrate some scout skills....we had an eagle show how to use and paddle a canoe. That was a big hit. We also had a "hike" around the block that most of them enjoyed. I would recommend getting the Cub Scout "How To Book". Many good ideas of all kinds.

I would would sweat out some of those Tiger meetings more than my job presentations. Tougher crowd.

I think Wolf is a bit more challenging as they are more and a little more complex activities.

I think adults are more willing to be an Assistant Den Leader than Den Leader. If you can get anyone to enlist it might be more realistic to have 1 large den with 2 ADL than 2 dens.

I also found out that it helps to wear the uniform. Some folks seem reluctant in cubs but I think the boys respect the adult leaders more in uniform.

Anyway my 2 cents.

Here in the NCAC we have Cub Leaders Pow Wow in November as well as the University of Scouting that just passed a few weeks ago. I think both of these provide some of the most useful training and good ideas that I've gotten toward doing my thing as a den leader and now as cubmaster. I know that November is a long time from now, but plan to be there when it comes around - it usually takes place close to where you live as well. I'm at the southern end of the council, so I have a bit further to travel!!